SANRAL e-tolling problem and possible solution…

chris2.0

I had a boring meeting today & I always get some or other ideas whilst doodling away…

So here goes, lemme know what you’ll think…

Problem = Tolling will be +/- R1000 extra a month on your expenses & you can’t afford it…

Additional problems:
1. Petrol is expensive & price is going up.
2. Same for services and repairs!
3. You can’t really claim back for using your car for business without detailed logbook.
4. You waste 1-2 hours or even more EVERY working day getting to work and back
5. You pay thousands of Rands per month for a car you use 20-80 hours PER MONTH! And it depreciates faster than you can say DEVALUATION!
6. You also have to pay insurance on your car. As well as licensing.

So what can be done?

What if you turn the problem into the solution?

Possible solutions:

1. Don’t get an e-tag & count on 1000’s of others doing the same so that the system will be so overloaded you will never get invoiced.
2. Get an e-tag, but make sure your monthly bill is over R940 to get the 50% discount..
3. Register your car as a mini-bus taxi and only pay 11c a km…
4. Cut all expenses and get a 2nd or 3rd job to make ends meet
5. Sell your car and use SA’s excellent public transport system – fast, efficient, on time, every hour of every day! Bhaw-hah-hah-hah!!! After done laughing yourself almost to death, consider real solutions…
6. Liftclub every day – possible, but you do need your car sometimes in the day as well…
7. Find a reliable shuttle service that services your home and work areas…
8. Buy a motorbike
9. Move closer to work, or closer to a Gautrain station. (Yeah right!)
10. Find a job closer to home
11. Convince your boss to allow you to tele-commute
12. Start your own business from home

Does any sound do-able to anyone?

How about the following?

How to start your own taxi biz and give SANRAL the finger:

1. If you can pay public transport rates, then it is 11c per km, instead of 49.5c. That’s almost 40c per km difference already. So instead of R1000 per month, you will pay around R220 per month, saving you R780…
2. So how do you pay public transport rates? Cheapest would be if it is possible to use your exisiting car. If not, get a mini-bus taxi? Or either a 7 seater MPV?
3. Start a CC or Trust for the taxi biz. As well as a website.
4. Get a Transport operating license
5. Get someone you can trust as a driver. Send him/her on an Advanced driving course.
6. Of course, there won’t be a lot of people willing to work for R780 per month, even if it is just for 2-4 hours per day. But seeing as he/she is an employee, can you claim back their uniforms and lunches from tax? Let’s say R500 for lunches and whatever a suit, tie and shoes cost? And whatever you want to dish out for gaining an extra hour or 2 each day you can use productively…
7. But here’s the secret sauce – you have to enroll him or her for a government approved learnership training course. Then you can claim back between R30 000 and R50 000 from SARS! T&C’s (always) apply of course… So get them entered into an IT or banking or whatever course & they can use their off time to learn. And pick up people to make the taxi biz seem legit.
8. You make a schedule and publish it on the web – people wanting to hitch a ride can do so at minimal cost. What is important is that enterprise should not rake in the profit – you can undercut the Gautrain if you want - it should be as close to break-even as possible, crossing over to losses every so often. Write of everything you can against the biz – toll fees, petrol, services, repairs, depreciation, training – heck – even buy a new car if need be!
9. Sit back and relax as you are driven to work and back every day. Use the 1 or more hours in the car to catch up on some ZZZ’s, get some work done, or just browse the net on your phone or tablet. (Even better – have the taxi supply the tablet as a client perk that you can use AND claim back from tax!)
10. And best of all – you give someone a job AND an education at the same time. So after one year this guy/girl should be finished with the studies and they can enter the job market. If just 10% of the people travelling between JHB & PTA every day (160 000 vehicles!) can employ someone, then 16 000 young people can be trained and hopefully become a productive member of society…
11. And then just rinse and repeat every year.

What do you think? Any CONSTRUCTIVE ideas would be appreciated…

[Another reason I thought about this is because the SO is moving back to PTA end of the month… And will be commuting between Centurion (Rooihuiskraal) and Monument Park Office park (near Menlyn?) every day. So it’s going to be R101 -> N1 -> R50? Or R101 -> R21 -> N1 -> R50?] Where am I in all this – working overseas for another 6 months…

Anybody keen to help write the website and maybe even a smartphone app to get this going? I can start a Kickstarter page and get some money raised if that’s what it’ll take!

More info on Learnerships:
http://www.eee.co.za/et-08-Fundamentals-Learnership.php

http://www.moneywebtax.co.za/moneywebtax/view/moneywebtax/en/page34677?oid=56511&sn=Detail

http://www.themarketingsite.com/live/content.php?Item_ID=2727

http://www.merseta.org.za/Default.aspx?tabid=151

http://www.labourguide.co.za/general/skills-development-a-comprehensive-guide-603

http://www.compuscanacademy.co.za/?q=learnerships_seta_grants

upup

Executive Member
Very boring meeting it seems. Did they pay you to attend.

Cadavre777

Expert Member
Do what the other people who cannot afford the new rates will ahve to do, take an alternative route. Sure you will have to account for more time wasted driving and higher fuel consumption but I think in most cases it will work cheaper.

Illegal options are available, but require modifications being made to your vehicle. I would not recommend this course of action.

Paul_S

Executive Member
1. Don’t get an e-tag & count on 1000’s of others doing the same so that the system will be so overloaded you will never get invoiced.

I think that is the easiest solution.

I was thinking about it this morning in the shower and if you want to be nice you could pay R100 every month into the e-tag account and tell them that :
1. R100 pm is all you can afford to pay
2. R100 pm is what you think the system is worth
At least that way if you are taken to court they will see that you're not refusing to pay (civil disobedience) - you're just unable to afford what they invoiced you for.
If SANRAL threaten to blacklist me for non-payment I don't care. I already own a house and a new vehicle which will last another 10 years and don't plan to apply for credit ever again.

A final announcement on the implementation of the E-tolling system is due today (unless the announcement will be made during the weekend).

Paul_S

Executive Member
Do what the other people who cannot afford the new rates will ahve to do, take an alternative route. Sure you will have to account for more time wasted driving and higher fuel consumption but I think in most cases it will work cheaper.

It depends on where you live and what back roads you use.
Where I live there are only two back routes that I can use.
The one route has serious traffic problems already so I don't want to see what happens if more people try to use it and the other route requires a 4x4 because it is so potholed and patched that I'd have to replace at least one tyre and rim every month.

D3x!

Banned
I think that is the easiest solution.

I was thinking about it this morning in the shower and if you want to be nice you could pay R100 every month into the e-tag account and tell them that :
1. R100 pm is all you can afford to pay
2. R100 pm is what you think the system is worth
At least that way if you are taken to court they will see that you're not refusing to pay (civil disobedience) - you're just unable to afford what they invoiced you for.
If SANRAL threaten to blacklist me for non-payment I don't care. I already own a house and a new vehicle which will last another 10 years and don't plan to apply for credit ever again.

A final announcement on the implementation of the E-tolling system is due today (unless the announcement will be made during the weekend).

:|

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
Anybody thinking that the system will overload if they are to be invoiced (i.e. no e-tag) is seriously delusional in my opinion. Its really not that hard for a decent billing system which I assume they have in place already.

You only have these options.
1. Hope Cosatu strikes on the highway to force lower rates
2. Use back roads
3. Remove your numberplate

White people will continue to beetch and moan on this forum and never take any action. Its up to the individual unfortunately. I for one wont use a numberplate on my bike and see what happens from there.

Oh and if you think the R1000 per month you will be paying extra is bad, then you have not thought of what will happen to food prices. So take that R1000 and double it

Paul_S

Executive Member
Anybody thinking that the system will overload if they are to be invoiced (i.e. no e-tag) is seriously delusional in my opinion. Its really not that hard for a decent billing system which I assume they have in place already.

The billing system won't be overloaded - it's the collections department and judicial system that will be overloaded.
Try take 100,000 individuals to court for non payment and see how long it takes to get your money and how much it costs to employ a massive team of lawyers.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
Problem is people poep themselves when they see a letter of demand and blacklisting threat

grok

Honorary Master

White people will continue to beetch and moan on this forum and never take any action. Its up to the individual unfortunately. I for one wont use a numberplate on my bike and see what happens from there.

A billing system does not a collections department make - just look at the Joburg billing fiasko. The main idea is not to crash the system, but to register your discontent and civil disobedience by not conforming to their nice-and-streamlined business plan. It will be more cumbersome, maybe even less economical for them to run as collections will always be a bigger headache than prepaid.

Yes it's gonna cost a bit more, but keeping it up for a couple of months may make them reconsider. So there's the perfect opportunity for white people to take action without resorting to burning things down.

2old4this

I think AA, motoring, civic & residential organisations should co-ordinate a country wide strike for a few days! Don't work! Spend nothing & stay at home! Obvious stock up on food & essentials! Close down SA completely until Guvamunt reconsider!

Grimspoon

Executive Member

You only have these options.
1. Hope Cosatu strikes on the highway to force lower rates
2. Use back roads
3. Remove your numberplate

Oh and if you think the R1000 per month you will be paying extra is bad, then you have not thought of what will happen to food prices. So take that R1000 and double it

White people continue to bitch and moan because the black government is ****ing the country up. Simple. O and by the way the blacks are also moaning as they are also effected by our useless government. So we are all in the same boat.

And please do enlighten us on how we should take action? Strike maybe? Burn some officials houses down perhaps? Maybe a necklacing or 3?

Last edited:

Paul_S

Executive Member
White people continue to bitch and moan because the black government is ****ing the country up. Simple.

For me the issue is not one of race (white vs black) but just the stupidity, lack of foresight, lack of planning and underhanded dealings.
If South Africa was still under white rule I'd still be throwing my toys out of the cot over an e-tolling solution.

Grimspoon

Executive Member
For me the issue is not one of race (white vs black) but just the stupidity, lack of foresight, lack of planning and underhanded dealings.
If South Africa was still under white rule I'd still be throwing my toys out of the cot over an e-tolling solution.

Absolutely, it actually has nothing to do with race as we are all in this together, black, white, pink, orange etc. Bottom line is our greedy government is out to fleece the masses.

So to say White people just moan and beetch I think is a bs statement.

Giantmidget

I travel from the East Rand to the North daily sometimes twice,so that`s four trips,when this bull is implemented lots of people will be using the back roads so expect to never ever get anywhere,and they are counting on this not that the highway`a are better the congestion is still there in peak hours.

There was a petrol strike they got what they wanted a increase,and now the petrol is going up again although we are paying more then we did when the oil prices were over 140usd.We are one of the few countries in this fuped world , where the amount of people actually contributing is far less then the lot on social grants etc , so government thought that they would create jobs by upgrading the road infrastructure,but it`s only a part time employment deal ,once the roads are finished only a few workers will be needed to maintain(lol)the roads.

Why can the taxi`s pay less,there vehicles are heavier and cause more road damage , there are a lot of people who cannot join lift clubs or use the excellent transport network this government provides.Not everybody works 8-5 ,for me this means that i will have to do less business, or my customers will have to come see me so i loose business.The transport network will not loose money the companies will increase there fee`s,the supplier will increase the product price and we will have to fork out.I will not buy any electronic device from the government wonder who got the tender,anyway screw them i will not be the supplier of BMW`s and multimillion rand houses to the idiots.We are so few and for every rand we earn we only get 40cent.Communism is slowly crawling out.