SANRAL - Massive Accounting Mess !

Jola

Honorary Master
Ok, so I have tried to be a good boy, and have paid my e-tolls every month, in cash, as I refuse to link my bank accounts/credit cards to their systems. Sometimes I don't get around to it, and skip a month, and then I have to pay more the next month as I lose some discounts.

In general it has been working ok, and as I don't travel on the e-toll roads a lot (I try to avoid them), so I usually pay between R100 and R200 per month.

Suddenly, from last month, the wheels have fallen off completely, and I have been getting "massive" bills. I have investigated, and it doesn't appear to be as simple as other vehicles with my registration plates, it just seems as if their accounting system has collapsed completely. I looked at the last statement this morning, and it was just unintelligible, with random transfers, and debits and credits everywhere. Also seems as if they have reversed all of my historical payments.

My best explanation is that someone took their toddler to work and let them loose on one of the computers that they use for the accounting system.

Oh, and the lady at the SANRAL office says that I am not the first one to complain about this.

BTW, I have an accounting background, but cannot make head or tail out of this mess, I really cannot see how anyone at SANRAL can fix this.

I have had previous problems, for example when they started deducting money for a MAC truck with a completely different number plate from my account, supposedly as a Toyota Corolla that I had at the time.

I must say, with this accounting disaster, I cannot in good faith recommend that anyone pays anything to SANRAL, they really don't seem to have any idea of what they are doing. Irrespective of the other issues, ie is it the right thing to do or not.

Last edited:

nazmo

serves you right trying to do the right thing. I paid my TV licence once and as a result I do so every year. Havent watched broadcast TV in 3 years :p

Messugga

Honorary Master
Every now and then they reset my outstanding balance to zero. I'm going to assume that it's the sort of thing you're describing, that I can thank for this.
You're awfully generous to be picking up my outstanding bills. Thanks.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Sorry Dude, you should have never done a deal with the Devil in the first place.

Mista_Mobsta

Yeah, looks like it !
Scary thing is these useless eedjuts are going to start issuing judgements against those that are in arrears and yet, they can't even provide a detailed and conclusive history stating, at least in my experience, my vehicle's travel patterns and costs attached to each gantry.

Jola

Honorary Master
Scary thing is these useless eedjuts are going to start issuing judgements against those that are in arrears and yet, they can't even provide a detailed and conclusive history stating, at least in my experience, my vehicle's travel patterns and costs attached to each gantry.
Yes, I don't believe that they can.

I actually want a detailed statement showing all debits and credits from 1 Jan 2014.

When was the actual implementation date ? But I avoided those roads for a few months.

creeper

Expert Member
Ok, so I have tried to be a good boy, and have paid my e-tolls every month, in cash, as I refuse to link my bank accounts/credit cards to their systems. Sometimes I don't get around to it, and skip a month, and then I have to pay more the next month as I lose some discounts.

In general it has been working ok, and as I don't travel on the e-toll roads a lot (I try to avoid them), so I usually pay between R100 and R200 per month.

Suddenly, from last month, the wheels have fallen off completely, and I have been getting "massive" bills. I have investigated, and it doesn't appear to be as simple as other vehicles with my registration plates, it just seems as if their accounting system has collapsed completely. I looked at the last statement this morning, and it was just unintelligible, with random transfers, and debits and credits everywhere. Also seems as if they have reversed all of my historical payments.

My best explanation is that someone took their toddler to work and let them loose on one of the computers that they use for the accounting system.

Oh, and the lady at the SANRAL office says that I am not the first one to complain about this.

BTW, I have an accounting background, but cannot make head or tail out of this mess, I really cannot see how anyone at SANRAL can fix this.

I have had previous problems, for example when they started deducting money for a MAC truck with a completely different number plate from my account, supposedly as a Toyota Corolla that I had at the time.

I must say, with this accounting disaster, I cannot in good faith recommend that anyone pays anything to SANRAL, they really don't seem to have any idea of what they are doing. Irrespective of the other issues, ie is it the right thing to do or not.
Maybe send this to OUTA. I think they will appreciate the info.

Jola

Honorary Master
Maybe send this to OUTA. I think they will appreciate the info.
Good idea, I think that I will.

There is no doubt that for SANRAL to take anyone on, they will need complete historical records that have been certified by an auditor.

Their financial information is just not credible, it is garbage.

So for them to start blacklisting people is, in my opinion. highly unethical, the standard of their record-keeping just does not support such actions.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Good idea, I think that I will.

There is no doubt that for SANRAL to take anyone on, they will need complete historical records that have been certified by an auditor.

Their financial information is just not credible, it is garbage.

So for them to start blacklisting people is, in my opinion. highly unethical, the standard of their record-keeping just does not support such actions.
As do the accuracy of their system..

Member baby Zuma's trail after he crashed his porch & killed 2 people? They (prosecutors) wanted to use the photographic evidence to prove something, but declared them unreliable as they showed Zuma going under the gantry at the wrong time.

This is the info they use to bill you lol.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Mmm, well I get my e-Toll bills once a month like clockwork, no funny deductions or "gibberish". But I guess let's go with the one guy with a bad experience ;P

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Mmm, well I get my e-Toll bills once a month like clockwork, no funny deductions or "gibberish". But I guess let's go with the one guy with a bad experience ;P
He paid it every month yet they screwed him anyway.

And thanks for paying for the road upkeep for MY free trips on the the gantryless sections of the GFIP. (joining from N4 I can drive all the way to Rigel offramp for free by not passing a under a gantry for example), hope you think that's fair.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
He paid it every month yet they screwed him anyway.

And thanks for paying for the road upkeep for MY free trips on the the gantryless sections of the GFIP. (joining from N4 I can drive all the way to Rigel offramp for free by not passing a under a gantry for example), hope you think that's fair.
Well done on beating the system ;P I don't care about fair here, my entire argument is that "fair" doesn't apply in its normal sense for you and me when it comes to tax. It's the law, so whatever is legal is legal. Here's to hoping you uphold the law on the rest of the GFIP network.