SAPO parcel delivery scam

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

The South African Post Office has issued a warning about a parcel delivery scam designed to defraud clients.

The SA Post Office parcel delivery scam works as follows:

• The scammers send an SMS informing them their parcel cannot be delivered because VAT needs to be paid on the parcel.
  • The SMS contains a link to a web page where they are requested to deposit money into a bank account.
  • This bank account belongs to the criminals. This means the victim will lose their money if they make a deposit.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Good to know, but who uses SAPO in the first place?
SAPO them selves are a scam.
Who would you use for a 17kg box of books to be shipped overseas?
SAPO seems the only option using surface mail as airmail would just not be cost effective....

FNfal

Executive Member
To be fair i have received more than a hundred parcels from over seas and they only lost one , it takes forever but normally receive all my parcels about one a week .
Free shipping FTW .

Totempole

Expert Member
To be fair i have received more than a hundred parcels from over seas and they only lost one , it takes forever but normally receive all my parcels about one a week .
Free shipping FTW .
In a way, it's pretty nice to finally receive your parcel after 3 months have passed and you've lost all hope of ever getting it.

Very annoying when the Post Office sends me a final notice via SMS, when I never even got a first notice though.

I mean, I know they never actually sent the first notice, and this is just a way for them to try and save face for a parcel that got tied up somewhere, but still.

I can appreciate the new SMS system though. They should still send out parcel slips as a precaution though, the cell number on the parcel may not be valid.

RandomGeek

The South African Post Office has issued a warning about a parcel delivery scam designed to defraud clients.

• The scammers send an SMS informing them their parcel cannot be delivered because VAT needs to be paid on the parcel.
  • The SMS contains a link to a web page where they are requested to deposit money into a bank account.
  • This bank account belongs to the criminals. This means the victim will lose their money if they make a deposit.
LOL its an obvious scam. The SAPO cannot even deliver an SMS, much less parcels!

Yskasmetnstoof

At least a different scam from the old "delivery scam" where stamps are sold but the letter disappears in time.

sandymc

I saw this scam last week. Knew it was a scam straight away. Did entertain it, was funny they wanted R10....
Was at post office this week sending something, chatting to a staff member about this, she said one lady paid R4000 to this scam and then came to collect a parcel she wasn't expecting... Really that is sad.

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
I was recently caught with the exact same scam and lost my money. DHL contacted me and told me to pay customs and import taxes. Did so, but at least they delivered my parcel.

Jings

Treasure Maker
Got the SMS twice. Last one was from a different number after blocking the first one. Where do they get the cellphone details from?