SAPO postal theft of electronics

Tristao

Through my own experience of ordering a phone screen online I have learnt and offer this info and advice:
Electronics items like laptops, phones, etc. are high value and relatively small so are a great target for theft.
SAPO is experiencing a high level of theft of these items through their Johannesburg International Mail Centre (hub) - I can't comment on other of their hubs. They are aware of these issues and working on it. In the interim, we are the unfortunate beneficiaries of their internal problems.
When these items arrive at the hub, they are misplaced and hidden internally to give the thieves time to access and remove the items. The packages are then resealed and shipped to various other incorrect sub-hubs - not directly to your post office - in order to create further confusion and shift the ability to pinpoint the problem area. By the time the frustrated customer obtains the package and discovers the loss, there is no chance of direct recovery.

My advice would be to not buy high value electronics online where there is no direct courier option. Relying on luck getting it through the SAPO postal system is not advisable. You will wait an excessively long time to discover you don't have what you ordered and have the additional headache of claiming your loss.

I naively thought that a phone component would be safe but was proven wrong. I do want to give a shout-out to the manager of the Highlands North post office who noticed that the package was Non Conforming (tampered with) and he noted the clear thumb print under the tape that was used to reseal it. He wanted me to confirm that the item inside was in fact missing and open up an internal investigation immediately. When I said that at least it was only a R550 item, he stressed to me that this was my R550 and no one had the right to steal it from me. A small silver lining and reminder that we are not all a nation of thugs.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Yes, this should be common knowledge but doesn't hurt to have a refresher every now and then to remind people.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
You would think that this would be common knowledge by now.

Jola

Honorary Master
Been going on for years, applies to EMS as well.

Don't use SAPO !!!

I have had a number of items stolen, including a dSLR out of the EMS Depot at the airport.

Scanned in, and then gone.

Last edited:

Weblord

Banned
Any person who uses the South African Post Office deserves exactly what they are getting. I have absolutely no sympathy. You pay hundreds or even thousands of Rands more to post whatever by means of private courier. Support these companies. They offer great services at ten times the speed and security. Let the post office die a slow death.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
I use SAPO. Only ever had to get a refund once, and I blame... ****... can't even remember the ****'s name. Never had a theft issue with SAPO.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Main problem I've had with SAPO are the waiting time - and unregistered parcels never arrive.

I've only had one registered parcel arrive empty. (recently) - and I've ordered over 200 items in the past few years from overseas.

At least you won't get scammed out by dodgy couriers who add various fees.

I've actually, for the first time, ordered a small piece of jewelry - really curious to see what happens to it.

Beachless

Executive Member
I only order stuff that uses SAPO when the delivery is guaranteed.
You should also weight the item and take photos on receiving it as most of these places require that as proof.

That way they claim from SAPO and resend.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
There is a booming private courier industry for a very good reason...

Neoprod

Honorary Master
There is a booming private courier industry for a very good reason...

just like private security...hell, there'd be a booming private everything if some stuff wasn't regulated to ensure SOE's keep their monopolies.

milomak

Honorary Master
i use sapo for small value items
- chargers
- batteries
- phone accessories

i may have had one pilfered during the post strike. but generally it's worked out for me

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Don't forget Amazon.com actually stopped shipping to SA more than once due to the theft at SAPO.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Any person who uses the South African Post Office deserves exactly what they are getting. I have absolutely no sympathy.
Wow. That's harsh. Blaming the victim almost as bad as the crime itself.