SAPS had improper deal with Tracker : Mkhwebane

dlk001

Executive Member
Vehicle tracking and recovery company Tracker "improperly benefited" from the use of state resources as a result of its agreements with the police (SAPS).

The complainant charged that police used resources - including police officials, police vehicles and aircraft - for the benefit of Tracker, to locate and recover their clients’ stolen vehicles.

The complaint alleged the relationship allowed Tracker to utilise state resources to fund itself, resulting in significantly higher profit margins for the company than if it were to pay for the resources itself.

It further claimed that the police service had not benefited from the relationship, as no fee disbursements or expenses (such as for fuel or vehicle maintenance costs) were borne by Tracker.

“I found that the process followed by SAPS in concluding agreements with Tracker and Tracker Connect for the provision of the vehicle tracking system in vehicles belonging to SAPS were improper," she said. “I also found that the agreements between SAPS and Tracker resulted in Tracker improperly benefiting from the use of state resources.”

Jola

Honorary Master
Well, you could also argue that theft is solely a SAPS responsibility, and that they should bear all of the costs.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
In other words SAPS has a generally corrupt relationship with Tracker.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Maybe off topic, but in other countries the police would track down stolen vehicles. Here its come to the station and lodge a case for insurance purposes. You will likely never see your vehicle again...

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
This probably doesn't look too good now regarding these allegations.
f9beaa1fb156e50acc3fa8accfa39b30.jpg

ponder

Honorary Master
The complainant charged that police used resources - including police officials, police vehicles and aircraft - for the benefit of Tracker, to locate and recover their clients’ stolen vehicles.

She said the police service used its personnel, vehicles, infrastructure and aircraft in responding to activations for stolen or hijacked vehicles.

It said while the public protector correctly noted that the police utilised its personnel and resources to recover clients' stolen or hijacked vehicles, she did not place sufficient emphasis on the fact that the service also worked closely with other vehicle-recovery companies to recover their clients' vehicles.

I don't get this, it's SAPS' job to get involved in car theft, all the tracking companies get the police involved.

Last edited:

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
I don't get this, it's SAPS' job to get involved in car theft, all the tracking companies get the policed involved.
Yip, also don't under. Now of they paid the police that would be a different story.

3WA

Honorary Master
I don't get this, it's SAPS' job to get involved in car theft, all the tracking companies get the policed involved.

Complainant was probably a cop who prefers to chill all day instead of running around after cars.

flippakitten

Expert Member
So... Did tracker send out their own people and include the police, or did they just call up the police station and give an address?

stiller26

I asume when car got stolen the tracker get activated, if one of the equipped vehicles near it a alarm will go off .
It will transmit a signal to the police vehicle fitted with the Tracker tracking equipment.