• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Satelite Connectivity in SA

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Where do I get costs and geographical availability?

We do have 5Ghz wifi. We have exactly one "service" provider in our area. I use 5Ghz wifi to link my house and office (500m apart) to share my internet. I can see the service provider network without the need of an extension aerial (mini dish). Our exchange, where the internet connection will originate, is limited to a max of 4Mbps.
We can do a desktop study for you and see if a microwave link if viable where you are. If you want, PM me your email address and I will send though pricing. If you are happy with that, then we take it further and create a sales order (not binding) and submit a desktop study to see if a link is viable. I did one for another customer last week who was out in the bundus and Vodacom found a route to link him with microwave @ 40mbps uncapped. They have to do some planning and infrastructure, but they are willing.

I think Dairy Farmer and Ockie have their Pricing wrong. Yes - VSAT is more expensive- but is very quick to deploy and you have the same coverage anywhere. On my websites , as with most other of my competitors- pricing is visible. All options- KA and KU have free hardware link to term contracts

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I think Dairy Farmer and Ockie have their Pricing wrong. Yes - VSAT is more expensive- but is very quick to deploy and you have the same coverage anywhere. On my websites , as with most other of my competitors- pricing is visible. All options- KA and KU have free hardware link to term contracts
I did not say anything about pricing for Sat.

Csnoopy

Expert Member
Microwave could be a option.
Hi Ockie,

To cut a long story (VC sucks) short I used Afriglobal with there Stargaze product and have had no supports/hardware issues at all. There product is not that expensive and all neither is there data topup's.

Even the hardware is not that expensive.

Please not that it is not made for online gaming streaming etc. You can use it but the latency is the issue.

Attachments

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Hi Ockie,

To cut a long story (VC sucks) short I used Afriglobal with there Stargaze product and have had no supports/hardware issues at all. There product is not that expensive and all neither is there data topup's.

Even the hardware is not that expensive.

Please not that it is not made for online gaming streaming etc. You can use it but the latency is the issue.
Stargaze Business 40GB @10Mbps bundle – R2999.00 per month

For that we can give 10mbps uncapped Microwave.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Any licensed to provide telecoms services in SA is allowed to provide such services in SA.

There are many around.

Telkom, Neotel, Transtel, Vodacom, Vox, Liquid Telecom, Avanti, Sentech are a couple of VSAT service providers, but there are many more smaller players as well. Users do not have to have licenses to use such services so long as they get their services from someone that does hold a licence.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Executive Member
It's illegal (if you don't use Sentech or Telkom) but no one will stop you ATM. The costs have been discussed on the forum before and it seems quite steep though.
No those are not the only two allowed to provide such services ........

Csnoopy

Expert Member
Satelite/Wireless services in South Africa

As I said elswhere.

Satelite is the last option, and in my humble opinion Stargaze has the better option.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
As I said elswhere.

Satelite is the last option, and in my humble opinion Stargaze has the better option.
You gave me the impression that Vodacom sucks and you are punting your Stargaze product over microwave regardless if it is a option or not. I apologize if I misunderstood you.

So far with all my customers, Vodacom have always managed to find a path to do microwave.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member

How long is the range on microwave links?
I have had feasibility studies done in town for microwave(Vodacom) and been told there is no coverage available.
I do have it live at one site on a capped package and its been a real PITA to be honest.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I have had feasibility studies done in town for microwave(Vodacom) and been told there is no coverage available.
I do have it live at one site on a capped package and its been a real PITA to be honest.
The one study I had done the one leg stretches for about 5Km I think.

What is a PITA? What is wrong with it?

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Depends on the frequency used and what the supplier is licensed to provide. ------ ( could be anywhere between 5 km and 2000 km depending on how deep your pocket is).

Csnoopy

Expert Member
Hi guys, if anybody is having issues with their satellite internet connectivity please contact me.
Hi,

Who and what R U and who do you represent ??

What can U bring to the table on Satelite connectivity

Maybe we can talk.