Save your 2FA keys!

saor

Honorary Master
If you have 2FA enabled on exchanges and you lose your phone - life is a lot easier with the account key in your posession. Once you scan the QR code and enable 2FA you don't get access to the key again so back it up (write it down) before enabling 2FA.

If you've already enabled 2FA and you don't have the keys...disable 2FA in your exchange account and log out. Log back in to make sure 2FA has been removed, only then remove that sites account from your phone and re-enable 2FA taking note of the key this time.

token.png
(Not mine, just a pic from google)

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
A reminder to backup your keys. Take a screenshot before scanning the QR code and store it on a flash drive.
If you lose your phone you're gonna have a hard time getting into your accounts.

I still see people using 2FA without their 2FA keys backed up.

Agreed. Keep a printed copy of all your keys somewhere safe.

I ran into this issue recently with Kraken. It was the one exchange I had not saved the recovery/master key for. Their support was very efficient. After a verification process, they removed 2FA on my account so I could get back in.

Archer

Honorary Master
A reminder to backup your keys. Take a screenshot before scanning the QR code and store it on a flash drive.
If you lose your phone you're gonna have a hard time getting into your accounts.

I still see people using 2FA without their 2FA keys backed up.
Flash drive is a disaster waiting to happen imo

Store all your 2FA codes in a document like paint/word/excel, add to an encrypted zip file, then add the zip file to a cloud storage solution (like google drive). No ways you'll ever lose it then

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I almost lost my crypto wallet - flashed my phone on Tuesday - and when reinstalling all the software - it hit me.

Fortunately I managed to recover the key from my dead laptop.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Flash drive is a disaster waiting to happen imo

Store all your 2FA codes in a document like paint/word/excel, add to an encrypted zip file, then add the zip file to a cloud storage solution (like google drive). No ways you'll ever lose it then
Easier to use Lastpass or Keepass.

saor

Honorary Master
Friendly bump reminder.
Enable it everywhere that offers 2FA where you want an extra layer of security.

Don't wait until it's too late.

John Tempus

Just use Authy for your googleauth keys.

I suppose from a security point of view if you are seriously concern that you cant trust authy thats another discussion but authy allows you to store and recover the keys in case you lose your phone or for ease of transfering the keys to a new phone.

Sly21C

Expert Member
BUMP.
Enable 2FA and save your keys!
I vote you tot be president of the world. Thanks for the reminder, I do have some keys saved but not all exchanges. I've decided to take a snapshot of all 2FA from all websites.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Just use Authy for your googleauth keys.

I suppose from a security point of view if you are seriously concern that you cant trust authy thats another discussion but authy allows you to store and recover the keys in case you lose your phone or for ease of transfering the keys to a new phone.
Lastpass authenticator aswell.