Seagate External Power Supply Adapter

Brentontw

So I have a Seagate 2TB Desktop Expansion external HDD that needs to be externally powered and unfortunately the plug has become faulty and I need a new one, I have looked in a multitude of places but cannot find exactly what I'm looking for, any help would be greatly appreciated. Specs are: Input 100-240V~50-60Hz Max 0.6A Outpt 12V -1.5A. Please if anyone has any idea where I can find a plug that meets these requirements, it would be greatly appreciated:D

ponder

Honorary Master
What does the connector look like that goes into the case?

Any generic 12V 1.5A or more will work fine, so a 12V 2A or 12V 3A etc will be fine.

Brentontw

What does the connector look like that goes into the case?

Any generic 12V 1.5A or more will work fine, so a 12V 2A or 12V 3A etc will be fine.
It's a 2.1mm connector that goes into the case. So as long as the voltage is 12 and amperage is greater than or equal to 1.5 I should be fine?

Brentontw

View attachment 234188

This is how it looks, pita to get an official one. You can use another one that meets the specs. Make sure the amp rating is greater or equal to the old one (like ponder said)

Here is one, too expensive imo so you should search more. first one I found.
http://za.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-in-power-supply/7262915/

Your specs and cheaper.
http://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=372M0653
Thank you very much for your help :)

That first link is rather expensive, second is far more reasonable. I managed to find this company and they are based in Pretoria which is convenient as that's where I study, would this product work? http://www.communica.co.za/Catalog/Details/P1883217879

Again thank you very much for your help!

Brentontw

Looks fine (actually forgot about Communica :eek:) . the ellies one that D4N posted will also work.

@D4N nice find that, would never have went to look for it at PnP
Awesome! Again, thank you so much for your help :D

eg2505

Honorary Master
Thank you so much! A lot easier just to pop down to a Pick 'n Pay!
Got same issue as open, same exact casing,

Will any openview power adapter work, out the box that is?

No grafting and soldering wires from the old one?

Brentontw

Got same issue as open, same exact casing,

Will any openview power adapter work, out the box that is?

No grafting and soldering wires from the old one?
From what I can tell as long as the adapter has the correct input/output specs you should be good to go(I stand open to correction). In my case I needed an Input of 100-240V with a max of 0.5A and output of 12v at 1.5A. Just check your plug head to see what specs you need and with the output the voltage has to match (12 in my case) but the amperage can be higher (Just not lower, will cause bad problems) :)

Hope you also come right!

Brentontw

Hey everyone just wanted to say that I got a new adapter ( bought from PNP) and HDD working perfectly again. If you can't manage to find a plug that matches your needed specs you can always get it transferred into a different enclosure. It's a bit more expensive but also works :) Thanks again to all that helped me out here, can now binge watch my series again :D

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Cool - very helpful. Just got a 2TB Seagate for free along with about 6KG of HDDs, most are dead including the one in the Seagate case but I can replace it with a working one. Will get a power supply from PnP then.

Highlander West

Hey everyone just wanted to say that I got a new adapter ( bought from PNP) and HDD working perfectly again. If you can't manage to find a plug that matches your needed specs you can always get it transferred into a different enclosure. It's a bit more expensive but also works :) Thanks again to all that helped me out here, can now binge watch my series again :D
Good Day can you remember what brand this was as have the same problem with a missing power supply
Many thanks have attached a photo from Seagate of the specs that show that a 2 amp is required and Ellies only supply a max of 1.0 amps
B.Rgds

Attachments

SouthBit

Dealer
Pop into our office sometime between 10h00-12h00 or 14h00-17h00 with your drive and I'll give you one of our spares. If you're in Cape Town, that is.

Highlander West

Pop into our office sometime between 10h00-12h00 or 14h00-17h00 with your drive and I'll give you one of our spares. If you're in Cape Town, that is.
Good Afternoon, Wow thank you
I am in Botswana but have family in Jhb whom if after searching the house for this cable for a third time and not finding it I will be in contact and make arrangements to pick one up
Thank you so much once again

Jake45

Expert Member
This 12V 2A MeanWell power supply from Mantech might be suitable. It has a 2.1x5.5x11mm DC power plug with positive on the center pin. They also offer delivery for an additional fee which might include Botswana.
http://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=372M1139

GeeWiz also have a number of cheaper 12V 2A power supplies starting from R95. They also have a delivery service.
https://www.geewiz.co.za/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=12V+power+supply&submit_search=

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Make sure the polarity is the same too.
Don't ignore what Noxibox said...
Some (likely the generic Ellies) allow polarity reversal. Make sure you get it right. The original will specify the polarity on the label somewhere.

In this one, the outer bit is negative and the inner is positive.

PhotoEditor_20190525_055514496.jpg

Last edited: