Sectional Title Flat - Water Damager to flat below

jezzad

Expert Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2013
Messages
1,606
Reaction score
786
I own a flat in a sectional title block.

Our shower drain leaked into the unit below us damaging their cement ceiling (paint, plaster)

At the time I offered to pay for damages or repair the units ceiling to the owner (verbally) who said not to worry about it as he was doing renovations anyway.

Skip forward three / four months and I receive a bill from the trustees for paint and plaster for the unit. Which amounts to roughly R4500

Am I liable for these expenses considering:
  • I offered to pay for them and the owner said not to worry (all verbal)
  • I wasn’t afforded the opportunity to get my own contractor in to do the work and pay for it.
  • I wasn’t quoted on the work.
  • The invoice isn’t addressed to me.
  • I haven’t signed off or approved the costs or quotation
  • Cost seem exorbitant considering it was only a areas of about one square meter of damage
I am not denying the damage was caused by my unit. Im just saying if I had known about the change of plans (owner) I would have got my own team in and resolved it for much less.

Any previous experience or thoughts on the above?
 
Firstly, when it comes to things like this, always get everything in writing..

Secondly, irrespective of offers made, in accordance with sectional title law you are liable for the costs of repair work, as your unit caused the damage..

Not sure that it really matters that your offer was declined.. Approach CSOS and argue your case with them, is your best bet..

Problem is though, now that repair work has already been done, there is no way for you to prove that the repair costs would have been any less had your team done the work..
 
We have had a few water leaks in the years I have lived in my sectional title unit and in every case the insurance covered it. My flat also caused a water leak from a pipe in the walls that was faulty and I flooded my neighbour out downstairs.
Check with your body corporate
 
For R4500, it may just be less hassle to pay it (in anger, no doubt) than to contest it.
 
We have had a few water leaks in the years I have lived in my sectional title unit and in every case the insurance covered it. My flat also caused a water leak from a pipe in the walls that was faulty and I flooded my neighbour out downstairs.
Check with your body corporate
Only our geysers are covered for bursts and leaks within our insurance policy
 
We have had a few water leaks in the years I have lived in my sectional title unit and in every case the insurance covered it. My flat also caused a water leak from a pipe in the walls that was faulty and I flooded my neighbour out downstairs.
Check with your body corporate

There are multiple different factors:
In most blocks there are pipes that clearly belong to the Body Corporate, the rest belong to the owners of each flat.
Insurance policies coverage of water damage varies, depending on whether it was a catastrophic failure such as a burst geyser, or a slow leak such as poor maintenance.
Even if insurance covers the damage, the excess payable may be several thousands of rands.
It doesn't sound like this process was well handled, but there is not always a clear procedure in every case.

Edit: Even if only 1 square meter has visible damage, most of the ceiling was probably damp. The entire area needs to be repainted to get an even surface and colour match. Adjacent rooms can also be damaged, and this may not be apparent at first.

N.B. I am not currently a trustee, but as caretaker have dealt with multiple leaks, floods, and blockages in our complex. It helps to get photos and monitor every step in the process.
 
Last edited:
We have had a few water leaks in the years I have lived in my sectional title unit and in every case the insurance covered it. My flat also caused a water leak from a pipe in the walls that was faulty and I flooded my neighbour out downstairs.
Check with your body corporate
If the water pipes/leaks were in the common property walls, it would be covered by insurance.. otherwise it's not always covered or feasible to have it repaired by insurance due to excess being high etc..
 
If the water pipes/leaks were in the common property walls, it would be covered by insurance.. otherwise it's not always covered or feasible to have it repaired by insurance due to excess being high etc..
I had a similar issue many years ago, the boundary of common vs non-common property is sometimes very vague - it had to do with damage to an exterior wall due to a leaking toilet waste pipe.

In this case, a leaking shower is for sure not common property.

I would be a bit peeved off with the owner, he should have engaged with you prior to getting the work done, out of courtesy.
 
Before you pay anything, ask for proof that the buidling's insurer has repudiated the claim. Most insurance companies will cover the cost of the resulting damage of a water leak.
 
Before you pay anything, ask for proof that the buidling's insurer has repudiated the claim. Most insurance companies will cover the cost of the resulting damage of a water leak.
I second this. Insurers cover damage from consequential damage due to water leaks
 
I own a flat in a sectional title block.

Our shower drain leaked into the unit below us damaging their cement ceiling (paint, plaster)

At the time I offered to pay for damages or repair the units ceiling to the owner (verbally) who said not to worry about it as he was doing renovations anyway.

Skip forward three / four months and I receive a bill from the trustees for paint and plaster for the unit. Which amounts to roughly R4500

Am I liable for these expenses considering:
  • I offered to pay for them and the owner said not to worry (all verbal)
  • I wasn’t afforded the opportunity to get my own contractor in to do the work and pay for it.
  • I wasn’t quoted on the work.
  • The invoice isn’t addressed to me.
  • I haven’t signed off or approved the costs or quotation
  • Cost seem exorbitant considering it was only a areas of about one square meter of damage
I am not denying the damage was caused by my unit. Im just saying if I had known about the change of plans (owner) I would have got my own team in and resolved it for much less.

Any previous experience or thoughts on the above?
Tell them to f-off and insurance should settle the claim with maybe a minimal excess.
If insurance won't pay ask if they have professional indemnity/trustees liability cover because you will be holding them responsible for not ensuring there is decent insurance covers in place.
 
Tell them to f-off and insurance should settle the claim with maybe a minimal excess.
If insurance won't pay ask if they have professional indemnity/trustees liability cover because you will be holding them responsible for not ensuring there is decent insurance covers in place.
One of the trustees is an insurance broken and manages our blocks insurance (massive conflict of interest). So he should know what is covered and what isn’t. My question about the above approach is the leak occurred in a raised section of our shower floor. So technically not in the median line between units.
 
One of the trustees is an insurance broken and manages our blocks insurance (massive conflict of interest). So he should know what is covered and what isn’t. My question about the above approach is the leak occurred in a raised section of our shower floor. So technically not in the median line between units.
Doesn't matter

Ask for a repudiation letter from the insurer (the broker or trustees cannot do the letter) and the contact details of the ombudsman as you will be going that route.
 
I live in a house. NO worry about pesky noisy neighbors downstairs or next door....Just me all by my self.
 
Tell them to f-off and insurance should settle the claim with maybe a minimal excess.
If insurance won't pay ask if they have professional indemnity/trustees liability cover because you will be holding them responsible for not ensuring there is decent insurance covers in place.
Best reply in my honest opinion.

sounds like the trustees are falling for the insurance company's "best outcome"

Top floor didn't chose to have the shower leak, bottom floor needs things fixed.

That's why we have building insurance.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X