Set up Point-to-Point Wi-Fi connection

MielieSpoor

Expert Member
Hello,

I would like to set up a Point-to-Point Wi-Fi connections between two buildings to extend the network from building A to building B without bothering with cabling between the two.

I was thinking of getting the Antenna's being used by the WUG*community, but do I need to get all the equipment the use or is there something else also?

Can I not just get antenna from Poynting?

Level7

Level-7 Representative
Company Rep
Hello,

I would like to set up a Point-to-Point Wi-Fi connections between two buildings to extend the network from building A to building B without bothering with cabling between the two.

I was thinking of getting the Antenna's being used by the WUG*community, but do I need to get all the equipment the use or is there something else also?

Can I not just get antenna from Poynting?
Hello!

What is the distance of the link and what kind of throughput are you looking for?

Thor

Honorary Master
Scoop.co.za

Yea the Nano station is pretty nice!!

You can also look at a Mikrotik bullet with a good antenna

Level7

Level-7 Representative
Company Rep
Aifiber might be over the top. The nanostationm might actually be sufficient. Now to find a reseller as Amazon (or rather, the reseller) wont ship to SA.
+1 powerbeam or nanostation 5ghz. You should achieve 70 to 90mbps

Try scoop, miro or dbg

MielieSpoor

Expert Member
Have a look at the Mikrotik LHG
Thanks. That also looks like a good option. Will have to read up on the two options now and make a decision. The LGH is also a bit cheaper than the Nanostation it seems.

Level7

Level-7 Representative
Company Rep
Thanks. That also looks like a good option. Will have to read up on the two options now and make a decision. The LGH is also a bit cheaper than the Nanostation it seems.
The nanostations are easy as cake to setup.

Mikrotik is good but if you dont have any experience on routerOS you will struggle abit more. But there are plenty of guides online to help.

MDE

Expert Member
The nanostations are easy as cake to setup.

Mikrotik is good but if you dont have any experience on routerOS you will struggle abit more. But there are plenty of guides online to help.
This is very true. Skipped my mind as I use Mikrotik often

Last edited:

ld13

Honorary Master
What is the latest suggestion if building A and B is <3.5KM apart, 2KM of that over water, if that matters, and fairly low throughput is required of say <20mbps? Cost is an issue, obviously.

Naaimasjien

What is the latest suggestion if building A and B is <3.5KM apart, 2KM of that over water, if that matters, and fairly low throughput is required of say <20mbps? Cost is an issue, obviously.
Two Powerbeams set up as point-to-point should be fine