Setting up a Lan in WIN7

Lord Anubis

Expert Member
Hi All

Please can you help me. Ive been battleing now 24hrs to setup a Lan between 2 Windows 7 machines. I keep getting erros and the homegroup keep coming up as unidentfied network. The one machine has windows 7 ultimate with an ISDN modem and the other has windows 7 premium.

The Homegroup keeps changing to "public' and wont allow me to change it to "home". I allso keep getting the IP configuration error.

What am I doing wrong.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance.:eek:

Chiller89

Are you configuring the lan on two machines connected via a LAN cabel, or over an ad-hoc wireless network?

If you are using a cable, try going into the network connections on both machines and change the ip config to the following:
IP address 1st pc - 192.168.1.101
IP address 2nd PC - 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask on both pc's - 255.255.255.0
Leave all the other fields blank and make sure DNS is not set to auto.
Now try to ping the other pc via Command Promt and see if it works

Hope this helps :)

Lord Anubis

Expert Member
Ok, not getting internet access on the machine without the modem:(. Its a lan cable from one ethernet to another.

Lord Anubis

Expert Member
What do I put in dns, you said leave blank? Is there any hope. At least the machines talk to each other now though but shows ipv6 error? I ticked ipv6 but it makes no difference :(

Chiller89

ok this is a bit of a long process but ill help you.

Ok first, reset the settings that are in there now, set it to default. Then once it has picked up the internet settings, go to the internet settings details and find the default gateway and dns server. Take down these numbers.
Now go back to the settings and put in the settings that i gave earlier, but add the default gateway and DNS server that you got earlier.
Save these settings (this is for ipv4) and make sure that ipv6 is set to autoconfigure.
Now exit.
Do the same thing for PC 2 if you want internet access on both pc's.
Make sure that internet sharing is enabled on the first pc, otherwise there will be no internet feed to the second pc. If not you can leave the settings as i gave them earlier!

If you still have problems then let me know exacly what they are and i'll help
Cheerz :)

Lord Anubis

Expert Member
Ok, thanks, ill get back to you in a couple of hours..first need to go and have a few castles..thing often tend to get resolved this way lol. Thanks so far :)

Lord Anubis

Expert Member
Ok! Here's how I fixed it! I opened RUN, typed in "secpol.msc", opened "networks", changed every network to private and gave full permissions (did this on both machines). Went over to homegroups deleted all of the networks, recreated them (joined and made sure they were "home" not "public). Went over to internet options in the machine with internet access, ticked on sharing to enable other computers internet access and voila..all is working. Oh and I rebooted several times throughout and afterwards and its still working! So..resolved :) (oh and didn't need to add any IP adresses anywhere)

Last edited:

Chiller89

Yeah kwl glad you fixed it.You would only need to put in the IPs if you wanted to dedicated ips for online hosting and others...

Have fun
Cheerz :)

biltong

I'm confused as to why you wanted to change from unidentified network to home. When me and my friends lan that makes no difference, as long as our IPs have the same first 3 octets and the same subnet.
If you want internet on both machines via the ISDN, just right click on your ISDN connection in network adapters and share that. It will change your PC's network adapter's IP to 192.168.137.1. Then you just set the other machine's IP to auto assign and it should work. :)

Oh and Homegroup is pretty useless if you aren't sharing anything, I'd disable that.

Lord Anubis

Expert Member
I hear you biltong. I just dont understand why I was having som much trouble. Today, I had a powerfailure and when I booted both machines...the second machine got stuck in "identifying". It wouldnt connect no matter what. I eventually found that the netwrok discovery settings in homegroup has strangely gone and turned themselves off. I turned it on and no joy. It was still stuck in discover. I then tried to reset the TCP/IP stack. It failed! I then went into services.msc and saw the DHCP services was not started! WTF! I strated it.

Ok, so I by that time I just decided to recreate the home groups, set their network locatotions to "Home" and voila, fixed again.

I wonder if its because the one machine is "ultimate" and the other "premium". But like I said, instead of it getting easier every version of Windows is more buggy and complicated that the one before.... saw today that some tablet makers are looking to introduce smart phone chips and OS into neew tablets in a few years. I just hope things become more easy..

On the other hand Im learning a lot so soon I'll be an expert on my block :)

Thanks for the comments guys :)

DUDE!@##$%%

lolz all i do for a lan is:

plug all PC's into each other or router.
go to my Local Area Connection, click properties change each to 192.168.0.*
then i just let it do the other things automatically.
close everything.
ping each pc.
and it usually works :)

K

kingrob

Think your biggest mistake was to define the connections as public networks, instead of home (private). Public networks = anyone can access it; thus Windows 7 will make it difficult to access.