Setting up second wifi router

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I followed this guide for old router - works great as repeater

Not Repeater, access point.

Video doesn’t work now, but doubt there is any of that magic about it.

Also which they would stop using the term router universally like this.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
The TL-WR840N is a decent router but is hot garbage when configured as an AP.

I have the TL-WR840 as my primary router/AP with a slightly older model TP-Link as my secondary AP, connected via ethernet. Everything works fine for a day or so and then one of the routers randomly locks up.

I'm fairly savvy with networking and I can confidently say it's not a configuration issue. Now that I'm working from home it's gone from a small frustration to being a major inconvenience. Take a look at getting some proper hardware. I've just ordered two of these:

FelixDaHousecat

Thanks for the tip and the link. Going to invest in that AP - it's worth it considering everyone hear is working from home now and if it solves the constant connection and has good range it's totally worth it. That price from senetic is good and I'll order from them. Do you know if it comes with a power cable included? I read reviews on takealot saying no power cable is provided - I've also written to Senetic to ask. Thanks!

FelixDaHousecat

I had a couple of questions about the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR device's capabilities to be an AP over wireless to share signal with other areas of the house. The router is located through two thick walls about 15m away from where I intend to put the AP. I currently have a Netgear cheapo NX3700 Wifi extender there. When I connect it right next to the router it only gives 20/20 speeds more or less, and when I move it to the AP spot where I want to put the Ubiquiti device it only gives 5-10mbps speeds. Does the Ubiquit AP work well without an ethernet cable at receiving the signal from the main router wirelessly and then extending it, even if it's through two walls? Thanks for the help.

access

Honorary Master
remember communication is 2 way. the one device might be ok through walls but the other device talking back is not.

no way to definitely say yes a wifi device is good through walls. walls are different....

FelixDaHousecat

Thanks, good point. I have another location I can put it with an ethernet cable but not as optimal - so will use it there if it's a problem. Do you know if this router comes with a power cable?

access

Honorary Master
the access point i assume you mean, it comes with a power over ethernet injector and a short power cable that plugs into the poe injector

FelixDaHousecat

Bought it- getting technicians to come in and install and set it up, hopefully this sorts everything out once and for all! Is there anyone in Cape Town that you recommend for setting up home networks for future reference? Thanks for all the help.