Shaped better than Unshaped these days?

Seeyou

Expert Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,879
Reaction score
474
I own a shaped, 3gb run-of-the-mill SAIX account, and an unshaped account for low(er) latency overseas gaming.

For the last 2 weeks however, most noticeably during the day, my unshaped account has been absolutely pathetic. Double the usual latency, packet loss, slow speeds, you name it. Ironically, if I switch over to the shaped account, I get unshaped latency and zero packet loss. (during the day too!)

Is anyone else experiencing this? Telkom deny that anything is wrong, my ISP (whom I have sent traceroutes and ping results to) admit that something's obviously screwed, but get the run-around from Telkom when they ask them what's going on too.

Anyone had better luck getting to the bottom of this? I'm not all that impressed when a service I'm paying 2x as much for is inferior to a standard offering.
 
Hi Seeyou

You're not the only one with these problems:

Slow SAT3 intl bandwidth. Everyone in denial.

SAIX: Unshaped latency higher than normal?

I have a Web Africa unshaped account. After bring up this issue with them, I have received the following two responses:

Firstly:

There is a link down between the SA and hong kong. This happened last week Thursday, since then we have experienced very bad pings to international servers. What you can do is log a speed problem with Telkom and they will log it with SAIX.

And then, after sending them this reply from SAIX:

CLients ISP should report the issue directly to SAIX via there ticket
system. Regards

Good day
Kindly assist with the following or refer me to the correct person.
Thank you.
Kind regards
Jacques Snyman
Telkom Online

Web Africa replied:

Unfortunately none of our adsl accounts controls speed, you could use any line speed with any of our accounts. SAIX has been having issues regarding international connectivity on the dsl network.....hence you be directly affected by international connectivity problem.
You line speed could be affected by noise on your line, faulty dsl port in the exchange or SAIX related port shaping.

Alternatively you could log a line fault with Telkom and provide us with the reference number and intern we could log a FQ with the Access Provider(SAIX) regarding your account.

If you look at my post here:

My unshaped latency is worse than my shaped latency. There is NOTHING wrong with my line. I ping 21ms to www.saix.net - there is a problem with International latency. It's pathetic to be told there is possibly a problem on my side.

Unshaped:

Pinging 66.249.89.99 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.249.89.99: bytes=32 time=476ms TTL=234
Reply from 66.249.89.99: bytes=32 time=473ms TTL=234
Reply from 66.249.89.99: bytes=32 time=474ms TTL=235
Reply from 66.249.89.99: bytes=32 time=474ms TTL=234
Reply from 66.249.89.99: bytes=32 time=474ms TTL=235
Reply from 66.249.89.99: bytes=32 time=477ms TTL=235

Shaped:

Pinging 66.249.89.99 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.249.89.99: bytes=32 time=368ms TTL=241
Reply from 66.249.89.99: bytes=32 time=367ms TTL=241
Reply from 66.249.89.99: bytes=32 time=367ms TTL=241
Reply from 66.249.89.99: bytes=32 time=367ms TTL=241
Reply from 66.249.89.99: bytes=32 time=367ms TTL=241
Reply from 66.249.89.99: bytes=32 time=369ms TTL=241
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X