Share trading software

meox

Go to www.psg-online.co.za, register for the 1 month free trial (Easy. Just need a cell). Then you got access to the forums there. The crowd there will know such things.
Thanks! I tried registering.. But keep getting "The password fields may not be empty. Please press Back on your browser and specify another.". Tried a few different passwords with no luck:(

BTTB

Who are you using to trade with as some trading platforms offer Charting.

meox

Use internet explorer. I also had the same problems.
Tried it now on IE, no luck.. Called them and they said they have a problem with their ADSL being off the whole day! Thank you Telkom:sick:

Who are you using to trade with as some trading platforms offer Charting.
Not using anyone yet, Im wanting to start trading shares now.

BTTB

Tried it now on IE, no luck.. Called them and they said they have a problem with their ADSL being off the whole day! Thank you Telkom:sick:

Not using anyone yet, I'm wanting to start trading shares now.
My ADSL Line was down from Friday Evening until Monday Afternoon.
>Pretty poor show Telkom. :mad:
The amount of time one has to hold on 0800375375?:eek::confused:
One long hold for the basic Call Centre whom you have to explain your story to. Then you get transferred to the technicians for another equal or longer holding period until they answer. The time period delay for answering calls is slow and annoying. I think the first call on Saturday was over an hour. Today was about 10 minutes.
I gave the phone to my son to listen to the repetitive recording on Saturday and Sunday who then gave me the phone once it was eventually answered. Eish.

Chart Software etc>
I personally use Standard Bank for Share Trading, I suppose mainly for the simple reason that I Bank with them. I am sure there must be other good platforms other than SBK, so look around. AFAIK Standard Bank are one of the few who offer SSF's (Single Stock Futures) which can be a very powerful tool if you know what you are doing.:p
Look at the rates the different people charge as here is the crux of the matter. Determining the costs to get in and out of a share will influence your profit/loss at the end of the day, so be careful. A lot may depend on the amount you wish to trade. I think SBK have a sweet spot for people who wish to trade around R10K at a time as it will cost you roughly about R100 to get in at that volume and about the same to get out, of course depending on your profit or loss situation.
And coming back to your point about charting. Why not register for a free month with them and look at their chart which opens in your browser using Java. Nothing wring with it. I actually prefer the layout to my own bought and paid for software.

meox

Ouch! My ADSL was also down this morning...

Im quite interested in the program I mentioned above, saw a demo and really looks impressive. Almost too good to be true, thats what worries me!

I think it might be cheaper with regard to commission than SBK.

Do you trade SSF? I heard the CFD are a better bet.. I know this stuff is risky, but without risk one wont get anywhere in life. Im quite young so I can afford to loose ;)

BTTB

Ouch! My ADSL was also down this morning...

Im quite interested in the program I mentioned above, saw a demo and really looks impressive. Almost too good to be true, thats what worries me!

I think it might be cheaper with regard to commission than SBK.

Do you trade SSF? I heard the CFD are a better bet.. I know this stuff is risky, but without risk one wont get anywhere in life. Im quite young so I can afford to loose ;)
My advice to you is to register for free with Standard Bank and PSG Online plus a few others if you know of any good ones and test their systems for the free month.
PSG Online has a nice bunch of guys on their forum which "share" :) information. Register on the forum, read some threads and start to make sense of the whole Trading Game.

I use Quick Charts from Stock Market College myself, but I feel it was a bit expensive at the price I bought it at last year. I think I paid about R6K plus you need to pay a monthly download fee of R190 for updating the software, as simply buying the software is not the end of the story.
Other major upgrades to the software may also carry a cost as I recently discovered.
These costs have to worked into your trading strategy?

Yes I trade SSF's. So far I am down R20K in the last two months as there was one instrument I went long on which dropped like a stone after the Sub Prime Saga and I thought it would recover and held out instead of using a Stop Loss. My Bad, but a useful school lesson.
SSF's are not for the feint hearted and remember if you do decide to trade them you will need a nice cash back-up and lots of time to spend watching the markets.

In your case perhaps seeing you are so young, why not give that money to a broker to trade on your behalf for a small percentage and go and enjoy your life, than sitting behind a computer screen peering at numbers all day. :):cool:;)

meox

Still cant seem to register on PSG, will call them tomorrow. Cant find a link to subscribe to Standard Bank share trading for a trial period. Or does one need to go through the whole signing up thing?

This program you speak of, does it just contain graphs? Or does it tell you when to buy and when to sell as well as can you buy and sell the shares on it?

This program Im looking at costs 13K, it includes Training. And then monthly payments of R155.

R20K? If I may ask how much you trading with about?

Rather than get a broker to do the investment, I would like to learn how to do it and become a day trader possibly. Just started studying Part time through Unisa, so have lots of free time:cool:

BTTB

Bull Market, but what if?

Hi meox,

Yes, the program does contain graphs. The program can do Buy and Sell Scans etc.
However that doesn't mean it can tell you exactly when to buy or sell a share. As far as I know, no such software exists nor should it. :p
Think about it. How can it be possible to predict the outcome of tomorrow or next week. We can merely say with reasonable certainty usually based on past performance and forward projections that some share instrument may go up, down or move sideways.
Shares usually trade in a band of ever increasing highs and lows and it is these highs and lows that one can trade and possibly be successful with, if your timing is correct.

You may be familiar with the terms Bulls and Bears. The Stock Market has been trading in a Bull Market for several years now, which is excellent news for investors. But nothing can go up forever and at some stage it has to come down and for all we know we may have just passed the Bull Phase and perhaps may be entering the Bear Phase of the Market. Nobody likes to read or hear that news, but what if?
On the other hand it may be that we are only starting to take off in the current Bull Trend? When I know I will be sure to tell you. :p
One thing can be said. We may be at a stage again at present where the market is overpriced and perhaps this is the time to learn from it by registering for free courses, free trials and take the opportunity to trade on paper and watch what happens to the shares you "buy".
PSG have a nice Share Simulator to trade. Do so for 6 months or so and then only Buy something, perhaps 10K or so in an instrument which you have researched with a view to a entry and exit strategy. Watch the share and employ price alerts to notify you if the share is trading out of your band you think it should trade. And when you have made profit do not be scared to take profit. If the share still goes up, so what, there is nothing wrong with taking money off the table even if it was not the best one could have done.

If you trade Ordinary Share one can afford to take a slump in the share price and hold for a recovery.
However trading SSF's one must employ very stringent stop losses as the shares you are buying are geared and the gearing can result in you losing all or part of your money. The Bank can also close out your position if you do not top up with cash to cover any margin calls.
SSF's have the added advantage of going short or long, but that I think you need to find out for yourself.

20K is not difficult to lose in SSF's as they are geared. Meaning that you can buy exposure to lets say R200K's worth of shares using only R20K.
What this means is that if your R200K's worth of shares go up 10% then your initial R20K is now worth R40K, but if it goes the other way and the R200K's worth of shares drop 10% then your R20K will be gone and The Bank can close out that position unless you top up your account with more cash and if the account has not enough cash you will be responsible for the deficit.
Once you learn it is not too difficult.
It is fun, but I reiterate it takes up a lot of time and you are young, so rather go to the beach with a couple of young lasses and enjoy your youth. When I was your age there was no Stock Market to talk of and we managed without it.

13K!!!:eek:
Down payment on a car to drive those young ladies to the beach. ;)

Last edited:

meox

No going to the beach for me:p I just moved up from Cape Town to Centurion....

And yes 13K could be a down payment on a car.. But the bank wont even give me a credit card as I dont have a payslip to show em:confused: They wont even look at my bank statements. But got one from Virgin Money now:)

It would be nice to just sit back and mess around.. But I grew up with limited funds and always seeing stuff I want and couldnt afford, after finishing Matric last year I decided its a good time to start trying to make lots of $$$ and aim at a early retirement.

Yes know what you mean regarding the program not being able to predict the future. This program Im referring to works with the Top40 shares, which as far as I can remember the guy said the shares have been found to usually, but no always, when going below a certain point and climb up again usually go up by atleast 5%. I reckon a program should be ok with predicting ok short term investments.

Surely even if the market does become a Bear market, one can still make some money with SSF (if you play your cards right) by going short?

Yes know about the gearing thanks;)

Decisions, decisions and more decisions:cool: