Share your current setup and future plans

InusB

Home Assistant on PI4 with SSD
Nabucasa activated – As mentioned in previous posts, I also don’t mind the 5$/month to the developers
Outside Gate with SV and open/close sensor, also connected Beam sensor recently (Still experimenting – giving lots of false alarms)
Garage doors with SV’s and open/close sensors and Ultrasonic sensors for cars
Garage light with motion sensor
All lights on Mini’s or Basics
Study light Sonoff basic added rain meter (Still small issues but know how to work around it)
Living room light Sonoff basic added IR transmitter to switch on Hifi and also measures inside Temperature and Humidity
3 x Passage Lights (Connex) switching on on different colours depending on Outside Gate/Garage door opened
Outside SV running off small solar panel and controller with 7AH battery measuring temperature and humidity
Efergy sensor measuring household power consumption
Geyser on POW R2
Washing machine and Dishwasher on POW R2 to inform me when finished with cycles
Sonoff bridge with RF door sensors
Ring Doorbell
UPS monitoring on PI
2 x Ezviz C3W Cameras via RTSP
2 x Sonoff Cameras via RTSP
2 x Google mini’s
2 x Chromecasts
Unifi Controller also configured on PI, detecting wifi device presence

To do:
Measure power consumption on individual circuits with Current measuring clamps
Garden Irrigation
Detect my dumb Alarm Armed/Disarmed – Already tested with D1 Mini, just need to implement
Sound Detection sensor to detect if radio/hifi is playing or not
Extra cameras

gbyleveldt

Measure power consumption on individual circuits with Current measuring clamps

Nice setup. The above is also something I want to do. Just not sure what to get as I want to monitor many circuits in the DB board. DigiBlur had a video about it, but I'm not keen on importing out the US. No real technical reason though, more for curiosity sake as I'm already monitoring total consumption. Interesting nonetheless

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
- Blue Iris, with integration for serving up camera streams to HA (work in progress). Next step is to get Deepstack AI working for object detection/differentiation.
Deepstack AI looks like a poker bot judging by google? I would have tried something like OpenCV first, no?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
The netbook I mentioned in my post above also has an rtl-sdr dongle for monitoring aircraft transponders. We are a couple of friends that share the data between us and don't upload to flightradar24
Interesting - didn't know you could do it locally.

I specifically want to upload though so that I can use the biz subscription when traveling. Should help judge flight delays better. Plus sharing is caring - data like this is helpful to investigators when a plane goes down

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
Hey guys,

I seem to work best when I see what other people have done and then copy/borrow/steal some ideas. Let me know what you have in place, and what you have planned.

My level currently it probably at the "Amateur Enthusiast", and also my automation \ smart home project(s) are still missing the key WAP (Wife Approval Factor) so it's sometimes hard to get ideas into action.

Currently In Place:
General Hardware
- Home Assistant running on an Intel NUC on Hyper-V
- Paradox MG5050 Alarm with IP150 module (and integrated into Home Assistant)
- Ubiquiti Unifi -> CloudKey 1, USG, 24 Port POE Switch, multiple AC AP's (and integrated into Home Assistant)
- Blue Iris software running 5 IP Cameras (and integrated into Home Assistant)
- Samsung Galaxy Tablet (which I am planning on mounting somewhere inside to run Home Assistant)

Smart Stuff:
- The Garage Door is operated by a Paradox 2WPGM - This can be done via either the Paradox remotes, or by Home Assistant
- The Garage motion sensor also activates a Sonoff Basic in the garage to turn the garage light on when motion is detected (i.e. when I walk into the garage) and it will turn off after 5 minutes.
- I have 3 spotlights in the garden that each have their own Sonoff Basic that will turn on at night and off in the morning
- I have a borehole and a water tank, I'm have an ESP8266 and a distance sensor measuring the water level in the tank, and I've made a flow sensor (on the same ESP8266) but need to cut the pipe and install it.

List of things to do:
- Pool pump on a Sonoff POW R2 - I actually hooked this up the other day, but after completing it I touched the pool box and got shocked. Back to manual.
- Irrigation - This is my next project. I have a 8 channel relay board (hopefully arriving today) and will connect it to an ESP8266\ESP32 to turn on \ off my existing sprinkler valves. Will also be adding a Nextion display to this when I can find one so that it can be operated manually (if required)
- Light switches - Goes without saying but over time I'll be replacing the light switches with smart switches, but this really isn't a priority for me.
- Intercom - My current video doorbell broke, and it's on my todo list to get sorted. Ideally I want someone to push the buzzer and my tablet or phone will ring and be able to open the gate.

Think that's me, I've also done some Node-RED automations to do some notifications etc

Crash.
sex
booze
braai

crashy

Blue Iris, with integration for serving up camera streams to HA (work in progress). Next step is to get Deepstack AI working for object detection/differentiation. This will arm at night when the Paradox panel is armed and using Deepstack it can ignore dogs but trigger when it detects People or Cars. Much less prone to nuisance alarms (in theory, I need to test this)
I can confirm this works nicely, I had DeepQuest AI hooked up doing object detection. Worked like a treat. I was running this on a spare laptop but needed the laptop, so this is temporarily on hold, but have ordered a small i3 machine to do the BlueIris and DeepQuest work (should be here next week).

The part that I couldn't get was to get it to trigger my alarm if it picked up a person when the alarm was activated, but I didn't spend a massive amount of time on it.

Garden Irrigation
I've just made an ESP32 + 8 port relay to replace my existing (non smart) RainBird (the solonoids etc are already in place). Will physically do the replacement tomorrow (and clean up the HA dashboard)

1602264033561.png

gbyleveldt

I can confirm this works nicely, I had DeepQuest AI hooked up doing object detection. Worked like a treat. I was running this on a spare laptop but needed the laptop, so this is temporarily on hold, but have ordered a small i3 machine to do the BlueIris and DeepQuest work (should be here next week).

The part that I couldn't get was to get it to trigger my alarm if it picked up a person when the alarm was activated, but I didn't spend a massive amount of time on it.

‘Awesome thank you. Now I’ll actually put the effort to try it out. As far as triggering the alarm, I’m in two minds about it. I want it to arm when the alarm is armed (which is just enabling an automation in HA). But I’d rather have it flash my bedside light to wake me up, or maybe get Alexa to start screeching, especially in the beginning till I know it’s reliable. Triggering the alarm may not even be what I want to do at that point... I might want to visually verify that there is an intruder and then take the appropriate measures.

Charlesjjm

Current setup:

Home Assistant on Pi 4, 4Gb
3 x Shelly Duo GU10 in the Kitchen
1 x Shelly Vintage in lounge lamp
2 x Shelly Duo GU10 in the bathroom
1 x Sonoff Pow R2 monitoring consumption from the inverter
1 x Sonoff switch to activate extractor fan in bathroom (linked to 2nd light)

Currently my kitchen/lounge lights go on half an hour before sunset and dims to 25 % two hours later. Everything switches of at 10:15.

Future plans:
2 x light switches (1 for lounge, 1 for bedroom) these don't have globes that can be changed.
Ultra link plugs for the main appliances to monitor
Motion sensor for the bathroom lights
Either globes or switches for bedside lights

crashy

Shew, weekend was busy with some HA.

I managed to get my irrigation setup. When I bought my current house it had 2x Rainbird (non wifi) irrigation automation things (plus all the wires done and solenoids etc). Rainbird#1 was 6 channels and Rainbird#2 was 4 channels, but the Rainbird#2 was only using 1 channel. So in total there was 7 channels needed.

I used this project as a base - https://selfhostedhome.com/diy-wifi-sprinkler-controller-using-esp8266-part-1/ and changed it to an ESP32 (so that I didn't need the bit shifter) and then also powered the ESP32 with a 5V adapter so I didn't have to convert AC to DC. I then used an 8 channel relay.

I'm more of a functional person than making it look pleasing, below is the box mounted on the wall.

1602496215659.png

And then my HA looks like this
1602496244506.png

Still a ton of to do's here around making the HA dashboard look and work better, and to add in some Node-Red flows to not water if it's raining\been raining.

crashy

‘Awesome thank you. Now I’ll actually put the effort to try it out. As far as triggering the alarm, I’m in two minds about it. I want it to arm when the alarm is armed (which is just enabling an automation in HA). But I’d rather have it flash my bedside light to wake me up, or maybe get Alexa to start screeching, especially in the beginning till I know it’s reliable. Triggering the alarm may not even be what I want to do at that point... I might want to visually verify that there is an intruder and then take the appropriate measures.

I saw this integration of DeepStack into HA - https://community.home-assistant.io/t/face-and-person-detection-with-deepstack-local-and-free/92041 . The previous time I used DeepStack I was using the stand alone app which didn't have any integrations. I'll let you know when I've put this into my HA.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Really battling with the wifi in my new place. Might need to shelve some IoT plans.

Can't work out why it's so **** for raspberries. All the other devices seem fine with the wifi and its the same router as old place

gbyleveldt

I seriously don't think you should be running HA on a Pi over Wifi. That's just asking for pain. At the very least it should be hardwired with a static IP.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I seriously don't think you should be running HA on a Pi over Wifi. That's just asking for pain. At the very least it should be hardwired with a static IP.
Not for HA. I've got a powerful server on the way which will run a handful of VMs.

But I need the Pis for IoT & GPIO stuff. Plus was hoping to build a 3 pi HA gluster cluster.

Not sure what's going on though...even hooked straight into ethernet they're being incredibly unstable. Like can barely ping google type unstable. o_O

Edit: Pi issue sorted. Not sure why but different OS fixed it

Last edited:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Have you thought of using ESP8266 or ESP32's for IOT \ GPIO?
I've got 2x of each but haven't used them yet. Personally more comfortable with Pis but think it'll be a good learning exercise. Plus I heard of something called ESPHome...but haven't figured out how that fits in to the picture yet

And bought a 3rd Pi4 today to build a cluster.

gbyleveldt

ESPHome is a pretty simple way to do something a little more customizable than what you can get with Tasmota, with a larger assortment of IO devices. Without having to get your hands dirty with C; you just focus on the logic and leave all the lower end hardware handling to ESPHome. I’m using it in some devices in HA

gbyleveldt