Should I upgrade now or wait for GPU prices to drop?

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Hi everyone

I noticed recently that prices on GPUs have come down a tiny bit, I am looking at getting a Palit Geforce 3060ti for ~R12000 , with some money I got from twitch subs, its still way more expensive than the RRP at $399 and for a Palit branded card so I am on the fence with it.

I really need to upgrade as I am using a 1060ti , but its really not up for the task for streaming my content , VRChat struggles heavily, especially if there are mirrors or I have the second camera activated(10-15fps sometimes).
I can hold off upgrading to December, but i am not sure if prices will shoot up again?

Should I pull the trigger on getting the new gfx or wait?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Honestly, I would wait a little while and see if the supply chain normalises a bit more and prices come down closer to their intended RRP.

Personally I would struggle to justify R12k on a graphics card with an RRP of around R7k (make it R9k in SA after all the taxes and profit taking).

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
By the time prices improve, the Nvidia 4000 and AMD 7000 series GPU's will probably be out. I was lucky and got my card back when they just released, pre the massive price hike. I definitely would not have paid what they asking now (17500 vs 22999).

animal531

Expert Member
Yeah if you have to then go for it, but I expect some nice price drops in the next 2 months.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Honestly, I would wait a little while and see if the supply chain normalises a bit more and prices come down closer to their intended RRP.

Personally I would struggle to justify R12k on a graphics card with an RRP of around R7k (make it R9k in SA after all the taxes and profit taking).
Nah generally the 2060 super was around 7 to 9k so you'd probably be able to get a Palit 3060ti for around 7k if it was normal times.

ToxicBunny

Nah generally the 2060 super was around 7 to 9k so you'd probably be able to get a Palit 3060ti for around 7k if it was normal times.

One would hope so, but we know how our retailers operate :p

Lupus

Honorary Master
One would hope so, but we know how our retailers operate :p
Yeah cause after almost 2 years my 2060 super is getting on, but then again my Ryzen 2600 is also getting on. I seem to forget as I get older 3 years flies by.

ToxicBunny

Yeah cause after almost 2 years my 2060 super is getting on, but then again my Ryzen 2600 is also getting on. I seem to forget as I get older 3 years flies by.

Yup, partly the reason I don't have a standalone PC anymore :(

I left it for too long and then the cost to upgrade to something even vaguely decent and modern was just exorbitant.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yup, partly the reason I don't have a standalone PC anymore :(

I left it for too long and then the cost to upgrade to something even vaguely decent and modern was just exorbitant.
I had left it for 8 years, mainly cause my son kind of took the room the PC used to live in :). When we moved into a house with a study I started upgrading slowly.
First started with a donated i5 4430, found some parts like an RX580 and such, was pretty cool, but then in mid 2018 I got a decent bonus so I splurged.