Should Someone do their Secretary's Job?

ponder

Honorary Master
You really should go into more detail explaining things.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Nope but you should for one be able to and secondly know what it entails 100%

Electra88

Nope but you should for one be able to and secondly know what it entails 100%

You are right, when you are short staffed or secretary is AWOL.

But if the secretary is available and get paid for her job, why does the secretary get paid to sit on her behind to do nothing?

Deadmanza

Honorary Master

But if the secretary is available and get paid for her job, why does the secretary get paid to sit on her behind to do nothing?

Hopefully her job has nothing to do with typing letters/emails in english, you will be buggered.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master

It's your secretary manage her or apply the disciplinary action/code of conduct.

boxerulez

Expert Member
No can do.

I am not the manager.

I am on a level somewhere between the secretary and manager.

Are you doing her work as it is frustrating to look at her not doing it or are you doing it as per instruction from your superior?

Any reasonable instruction is your duty if your contract so states. I guess if you have a gripe about the boss instructing you to do things a secretary should be doing you can make a case at the CCMA if your contract does not stipulate reasonable instruction.

Electra88

Are you doing her work as it is frustrating to look at her not doing it or are you doing it as per instruction from your superior?

Any reasonable instruction is your duty if your contract so states. I guess if you have a gripe about the boss instructing you to do things a secretary should be doing you can make a case at the CCMA if your contract does not stipulate reasonable instruction.

no, I see I get no instruction [to give instruction, and secretary gets no instruction to execute instruction on my behalf] and therefore I end up doing it myself. That is where my frustration lies.

I think it is better that way - if you want it done, do it yourself.

Last edited:
no, I see I get no instruction and do it myself. That is where my frustration lies.

I think it is better that way - if you want it done, do it yourself.

So you're not giving her any work to do and then complaining that she's not doing any work... I may have a solution.

Electra88

So you're not giving her any work to do and then complaining that she's not doing any work... I may have a solution.

No I am giving her work to do. But upper management does not ensure she complies with my commands/instructions.

bokdrol

Executive Member
:erm:
Maybe you are a bit of a dick, that's why she isn't following your "commands"

Colin62

Executive Member
:erm:
Maybe you are a bit of a dick, that's why she isn't following your "commands"

I think we're narrowing it down quite nicely here... :)

Some junior guy thinks that just cos he's on a higher level than the boss's secretary that he's actually senior to her. If management wanted her to do his work, they'd tell her to, so they are probably happy for him to do it himself.

Jehosefat

Expert Member
No I am giving her work to do. But upper management does not ensure she complies with my commands/instructions.

Is she your secretary or your boss' secretary?

Because if she's your boss', she doesn't have to do s**t that you ask her to...

Mila

Honorary Master
You should do your job you are being paid to do it.
Your boss has a secretary.
You do not have a secretary.

Electra88

You should do your job you are being paid to do it.
Your boss has a secretary.
You do not have a secretary.

Things need to be cleared up.

I am noticing I am being treated as a secretary.

Ha ha ha

Electra88

I think we're narrowing it down quite nicely here... :)

Some junior guy thinks that just cos he's on a higher level than the boss's secretary that he's actually senior to her. If management wanted her to do his work, they'd tell her to, so they are probably happy for him to do it himself.

If you are qualified for a better job than a secretary why should you be treated as one?

Would you like to be treated as admin when you studied for management?