Skype alternative for calling landlines

frankvw

I occasionally need to call overseas landline numbers. For years I've used Skype for that, with good results. But lately Skype has been lacking: calls to landline numbers in Europe often fail: they either don't go through at all, or one side is unable to hear the other, etc. Not sure if it has to do with Microsoft taking over Skype in an attempt to eliminate a competitor to their MS Teams offering, but that's beside the point, which is that for me, lately, Skype no longer provides the quality and reliability for calling overseas landline numbers.

Whatsapp works fine for Whatsapp-to-Whatsapp calls, but doesn't offer landline support and shows no indication of getting serious about that in the future. ADSL or fibre base VOIP offerings in SA tend to be quite pricey and work on a subscription basis, while with Skype you could just put €10 or so on your Skype account and let it sit there for ages until you need it.

In short, I've been looking for a better alternative to Skype, but so far I'm not finding it.

Suggestions, anyone?

// FvW

Google Voice
"NOTE: Google Voice only works for personal Google Accounts in the US and Google Workspace accounts in select markets."
Will it let me make affordable VOIP calls from SA to Europe landline numbers?

Also, it doesn't seem to play nicely with Truecaller; you need to make it your default phone app on Android.
Or am I missing something?

"NOTE: Google Voice only works for personal Google Accounts in the US and Google Workspace accounts in select markets."
Will it let me make affordable VOIP calls from SA to Europe landline numbers?

Also, it doesn't seem to play nicely with Truecaller; you need to make it your default phone app on Android.
Or am I missing something?
Yup. I have Google Voice and use Google Fi here in the US.

For international calls to landline/mobile, especially to SA, I still use Skype, which still works well, at least from the US. As far as I know, Skype and Teams use the same call infrastructure, with a gateway to POTS.

Suggestions, anyone?

// FvW
Viber - Available on all platforms. Check their Viber Out fees here

Talk360 - Popular in India/Middle East and Africa. You can buy airtime vouchers locally here (1Voucher, Spar, Blu, Clicks, Pep, Kazang) or online on their website. Gives you free credit to test.

I'll give Viber a try, thanks! I see talk360 to the Netherlands is a lot more expensive (US$0.29/min) than Viber (US$0.022/min) and the latter is about on par with Skype's pay-as-you-go.

If I understand it correctly, Viber's "World credit" offering is also a pay-as-you-go plan, is that correct?

Tnx!

Back