Skype to Landline

My parents had to upgrade to the Telkom wireless landline phone. The thing took 2 weeks before you could dail out but still could not receive call. They gave it back and cancelled the line and number they had for the last 30 years. I have read some threads here on VOIP providers but I wonder why people would not simply get a call pack from Skype . Skype calls to landline and mobile seems cheaper than these Voip services . 400min for $9.90 Au. Or 25 cent ZAR / min .Still cheaper than VOIP and you can get a number for R600 a year if you really need one.
:unsure:

Milano

Honorary Master
So it depends on use case scenarios.

Cellular

Skype with subscription
400 minutes all dialed to cellular on Skype would cost 97 ZAR

Add 50 ZAR per month for geographic number feature

FreshPhone
400 minutes all dialed to cellular via FreshPhone would cost 276 ZAR

Add 0 ZAR per month for geographic number feature

Fixed Line

Skype with subscription
400 minutes all dialed to fixed on Skype would cost 97 ZAR

Add 50 ZAR per month for geographic number feature

FreshPhone
400 minutes all dialed to fixed via FreshPhone would cost 156 ZAR

Add 0 ZAR per month for geographic number feature

Scenarios would all vary depending on usage calling either fixed or cellular lines. Skype would require a subscription purchase to qualify for those rates.

Skype will always be more costly than FreshPhone if not using their Skype subscription model.

Does FreshPhone have an option of a cheaper per minute subscription model?

All Skype fees are subject to prevailing exchange rate at the time. Any hidden fees left out?

My calculator is right or wrong on above?

georgegolding

Euphoria Telecom
Company Rep
The main difference between Skype and Freshphone is that Skype maximizes peer to peer connections, ie it uses the general internet to connect calls as much as possible. Freshphone is interconnected directly into local and international dedicated voice networks. Your experience of quality should be far better and more consistent on Freshphone making local and international calls.

I would agree, if your willing to put up with Skype on high volume you will save money, however for a home phone most people don't use much more than 60 minutes per month.

If you want to use it as your main number, Freshphone us far cheaper than making mobile calls on the cellular networks and far better quality than Skype.

georgegolding

Euphoria Telecom
Company Rep
I see Skype for 400 minutes is a recurring charge of R97 per month, that is also risky for a home phone, what if you leave for a few weeks, with Freshphone your cost could be R5 for the month? It's better to pay for what you actually use in general - this is if you look at millions of rows of accounts of how people actually use their phones over a year period. Pay as you go is always better, especially when your credit does not time out on a monthly basis.

Note Skype also has connection fees when using pay as you go.

Skype has a 100 minute package at R56 per month + R50 per month for your number = R106 per month.
Freshphone at 100min to mobiles will be R69 per month - far cheaper on low usage.

If you use Skype pay as you go...
Mobile call costs R1.05 c per minute plus a connection of R1.24 per call, dramatically more expensive than Freshphone. Freshphone has zero connection fees. This should convince anyone that recurring monthly charges they always win significantly because no one uses all their minutes every month. And if you do and use pay as you go for 50 minutes extra a month it costs you a fortune.