Smart box recommendation

FelixDaHousecat

Hey guys, was hoping to get a recommendation for a good and reliable Smart Box as i wanna get one for my parents. My budget is 2k max. Basically something they can use to watch Netflix and showmax on, as well as other downloaded series/movies. They got a Samsung TV which is decent but maybe 10 years old now. They always struggle with the laptop so ease of use is vital. Thanks!

Speedster

Honorary Master
Hey guys, was hoping to get a recommendation for a good and reliable Smart Box as i wanna get one for my parents. My budget is 2k max. Basically something they can use to watch Netflix and showmax on, as well as other downloaded series/movies. They got a Samsung TV which is decent but maybe 10 years old now. They always struggle with the laptop so ease of use is vital. Thanks!
Ematic, Mi box, Mi TV stick, lit box. Those are your options.

FelixDaHousecat

Thanks! I had a look and the Ematic one looks great... although seems like it's so popular it's out of stock at takealot atm. Def gonna get it though!

alloytoo

Honorary Master
Mi box S is really good, I just received a second one from AliExpress.

Amazon Prime, Disney+, Netflix, and Kodi all work great on the 4k telly.

About $100 dollars R1000 from Mi store on AliExpress.

ETA: it took about 30 mins to setup the new one including an OS update. That included about 15 mins of mucking about with kodi, getting it hooked into the SQL data base and installing Slyguys streaming TV add ons for NZ and OZ.

Last edited:

FelixDaHousecat

Thanks, think I'm gonna go with the Ematic one cause it's already pre-loaded with all the apps my parents need and seems to be configured by local sellres for local market. Has good reviews too.. just waiting for new stock at the end of the month.

FelixDaHousecat

Does anyone know if the Ematic SmartBox is able to play movies and series off a flash drive? It has flash inputs so I'm hoping so!