Smartphone through Airport Customs

nadimm

Expert Member
Thinking of buying a OnePlus smartphone in India and travelling with it back to SA. What's the deal with customs.

Any experiences? Lose the packaging? Insert SIM? May one to get rid of the phone I'm SA as it's a bit of an impulse buy.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
As I understand from my last convo with the lovely customs people,you can carry 2 cellphones per person no questions asked (assume no packaging)

hackus17

Yup just make it look like you have it as a used phone for a while. A relative of mine came last week with a new cellphone. He tossed a cover on, kept it with him, kept the chargers and stuff in the bags like it was regularly used and had no issues

Sweevo

Honorary Master
Yup just make it look like you have it as a used phone for a while. A relative of mine came last week with a new cellphone. He tossed a cover on, kept it with him, kept the chargers and stuff in the bags like it was regularly used and had no issues
It doesn’t have to look regularly used. It’s perfectly OK to buy a phone at the airport on the way out.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
I trevelled with 4 phones to SA in December and 5 out. Inbound I had the packaging in check-in. In both instances the phones were in carry-on and were scanned on the conveyor. Out of SA, a bag of old coins were flagged in SA and Doha. But after inspection by officials, I was allowed through. The phones did not raise anything.

If I remember correctly, the sars office there didnt worry about declaring your cellphone, I think you can have a few phones & you wont have to declare it before leaving, (I've seen someone who carried 4) so bringing back one shouldnt be a problem especially since its for you personally & you didn't have to declare before leaving the country anyway.