Smartwatches can help detect COVID-19

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Interesting they don't consider spo2 measurements? I would have thought that was also an indicator?

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
Seen this on the r/garmin as well. People using the stress scales as indicators, been quite accurate from what I've seen there.

GhostSixFour

Interesting they don't consider spo2 measurements? I would have thought that was also an indicator?
AFAIK the SPO2 indicators in the watches still leaves a lot to be desired - I recall a Dcrainmaker article showing him at sea level with an o2 of 84% or something. So that's probably why.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
AFAIK the SPO2 indicators in the watches still leaves a lot to be desired - I recall a Dcrainmaker article showing him at sea level with an o2 of 84% or something. So that's probably why.
Mine seems pretty decent. If I lie on my arm (and cut off blood flow) it starts alarming at 75 percent. It reaches 100 as well

Neuk_

Executive Member
HRV is nothing new and being infected by SARS-CoV-2 is not the only cause for a fluctuation HR.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I don't think the number matters. Use it as a reference point and if it drops drastically from the normal baseline, there's an issue.

Kola_CT

Expert Member
...or a multitude of other health or stress related issues.

Just fixing the heading.

I can already see MyBBer's queueing at the local EMS - "But my watch said I have Covid"...

GhostSixFour

Mine seems pretty decent. If I lie on my arm (and cut off blood flow) it starts alarming at 75 percent. It reaches 100 as well

I don't think the number matters. Use it as a reference point and if it drops drastically from the normal baseline, there's an issue.

Maybe I have it wrong, but there must a reason they don't use it, and inaccuracy sounds like a good reason :)

boboudts

Agreed, O2 is an indicator and whilst O2 saturation measurement is available, it is only on the latest Watch 6 Version - watches ver 3 to 5 will measure heart rate and report and alert a rate over your set maximum.

Just be sure to take it off before going to "hospital" as it will likely be nicked if you go to a state facility! :-(

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
It's not that accurate and highly dependent where on your wrist/arm it's placed. There's a reason O2 measurements are done on your fingertip.

Kola_CT

Expert Member
Agreed, O2 is an indicator and whilst O2 saturation measurement is available, it is only on the latest Watch 6 Version - watches ver 3 to 5 will measure heart rate and report and alert a rate over your set maximum.

Just be sure to take it off before going to "hospital" as it will likely be nicked if you go to a state facility! :-(
Happens quite often at private facilities as well.