Snowball using router for Wish networks

I use Snowball as my ISP. Recently, our router/wifi has been intermittently (and getting longer each day) taken over by #WISH network, asking to sign in to wish as soon as I connect to the wifi hotspot.
Also, a new #WISH hotspot is being created from our router alongside our normal one.

At first I was concerned that Wish was somehow interfering with our router, then I found out Wish is operated BY SNOWBALL. I'm wondering if they're sneakily trying to create a wish hotspot from our router to simultaneously serve WISH clients.

If anyone else is experiencing this issue, or knows more about the whole thing and what could be happening, could you please share.

Reactions: Yuu

John_Phoenix

So this is why Snowball has been locking down the routers...

I got locked out of my mikrotik, ports and admin ips changed, overnight, and support is "apparently" clueless as to what happened.

So they could use the existing client infrastructure as their own. A router and fibre / service we already pay(ed) for. F**k the consumer, right? They're all just sheep anyway, might as well...

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
/subs

But what would the point of that be if the router is in your house? Who else is going to drive around looking for a WISH hotspot?

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
House is built close to other houses and lots of students living in the area
Ok.

But would the signal from your router actually be usable by anyone else outside your house? Or is it a dense block of flats? I pick up both my neighbours' wifi SSID's, but the signal is really really bad.

About 3 houses will have access.
I'm in Stellenbosch, so I'd think the general practice would make sense to try and do this, whether my place specific or not

Just to update. It seems WISH network is used as a fallback on snowball systems if it is not able to connect directly to snowball infrastructure, in an attempt to give an option for internet access if nothing else works.

Reactions: Yuu