Software to search for keywords in specific sites?

Grant

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 27, 2007
Messages
70,885
Reaction score
39,677
Location
just around the corner
looking for software that can automatically search a specific group of websites that may contain certain keywords.

eg. create a list of wesites say:
woolworths
mtn
bmw
nokia
mybb
facebook

& then the software searches for a particular word or phrase contained on any website on the list at scheduled intervals.

any ideas ??
 
Tricky. How long is this list?

You can google it by specifying the site. e.g. "site:www.myawesomesitehere.com mykeywordhere". But google will freak out if you pump too many searches through it.

If its a short-ish list I'd just use a spider & search it locally.
 
the list would probably contain less than 10 websites.

however, the list of specific words to search for within those websites will grow over time

in an ideal world, it would be for mac - but windows is fine
 
Last edited:
Like I said, spider running on AWS or similar would be the best imo.

hmm just realized I missed a crucial part. You're looking for existing software, not custom writing it. In that case I fear you won't find it. What you need is a bit too specialized for there to be off the shelf software available. Maybe someone else knows of such a thing, but I doubt it.
 
yea, had a feeling something like this did not exist & figured would have to get a software developer to put it together.

but even there, dont know where to start
 
I once put something like this together with excel - I'm no programmer though.

I knew the google search string, so created a database of companies and keywords and used concatenation formulas to create URLs. I then manually clicked them, but it certainly didn't return data about each site.

I'd love for software like this in researching companies...
 
I'd love for software like this in researching companies...
I'm sure you could contract something like that out to a mybb member for a very reasonable price. ;) Not me though - not quite there programming skill wise.
 
I'm sure you could contract something like that out to a mybb member for a very reasonable price. ;) Not me though - not quite there programming skill wise.

Blergh, I'd actually prefer my guys to do the research themselves instead of relying on a machine to pump out information to them. Would make marketing research more interesting though. I am in the process of sending work towards certain forumites so might consider this later down the line...
 
With my incredibly limited abilities, I'd probably use some windows automation software to run the searches and pull out the data or screenshots and then I'd manually look at them and put them into a database. I might know nothing about programming but I'm incredibly lazy, which make me very efficient...:D
 
Can't You use Google Alerts and create separate alerts for each keyword
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X