Solar Security lights

dj2381

Expert Member
Has anyone used Solar security/outdoor lights around their house and have a brand or link to one they would recommend?

Cosmik Debris

Expert Member
Has anyone used Solar security/outdoor lights around their house and have a brand or link to one they would recommend?

I have. Bought them from Makro 6 years ago but can't remember the brand. They do a great job but the batteries are the problem as they only last a year. If you can get good quality batteries that last, you will be OK.

rph72

Executive Member
Bought one from Builders a while back. Cost in the region of R700. Only lasted a few months and then it stopped working. Not sure if it is the battery and if it is worth replacing.

dj2381

Expert Member
Bought one from Builders a while back. Cost in the region of R700. Only lasted a few months and then it stopped working. Not sure if it is the battery and if it is worth replacing.
This is my worry, even looking on amazon some reviewers claim their lights didn't last long, I must decide between solar lights or just using these in case of load shedding https://www.takealot.com/loadsheddi...A4JZ4E0NGDORl3s4U2saAqUREALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Although it would be great to have a cleaner look outside the house with these smaller solar lights.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Neuk_

Expert Member
Easy and quick fix would be a day/night switch

Or a smart switch which can be controlled by Home Assistant. We have a few lamps on Sonoff Basic switches and some outside lights on Sonoff Mini switches which are set to come on based on when sunset is and turn off automatically at set times if we are not home.

Cereal_Killer

Forging
Or a smart switch which can be controlled by Home Assistant. We have a few lamps on Sonoff Basic switches and some outside lights on Sonoff Mini switches which are set to come on based on when sunset is and turn off automatically at set times if we are not home.
Or you could do that.
But for something simple and not much faffing around a simple day/night switch will do

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
+1 @BBSA on that link
My neighbours caravan at Theewaterskloof has one of those and it is potent, been running about 3 years now no hassles

Neuk_

Expert Member
Or you could do that.
But for something simple and not much faffing around a simple day/night switch will do

Yeah, we run a basic day/night switch on some outside lights but I will change this to a Sonoff Basic to give more flexibility in the future.

Asgard85

I have of these, or one very similar, mounted on my carport to light under to the roof. I'm not sure if OP wants the light on throughout the night but I have mine set to motion-activation and it's been humming along perfectly for about 3 or 4 years. The light emitted is better than I expected. It has proven very handy when coming home at night to no power.
Of course not having it on all night likely preserves the battery so I can't speak to longevity when used as an all-night light.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I need a permanent solution, I often forget to turn my outside lights off, I don't have many, solar would probably also save me some wasted money.

Yeah, what would be ideal is such units, but waterproofed and with a day/night switch so that they only shine at night only when the power fails.

Colin62

Executive Member
Yeah, what would be ideal is such units, but waterproofed and with a day/night switch so that they only shine at night only when the power fails.
If you have grid powered outdoor lights that are normally on, you should be able to aim the sensor of the backup lights to point at the main lights, so that they only switch on when the main lights go out.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
If you have grid powered outdoor lights that are normally on, you should be able to aim the sensor of the backup lights to point at the main lights, so that they only switch on when the main lights go out.

You mean with solar powered lights as backup? That is something that can be looked at yes.

Cereal_Killer

Forging
Yip. All my outside lights are LED on Day/night swiches. Don't see the need to controll them with an app. It's dark = The light is on, Morning = Light is off.
Exactly, no need for fancy switches and faffing around with a app for outdoor lights

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
It is the batteries. They are also not all that easy to replace. And the charging circuits are not great.
Busy at the moment with one and found that the charging circuit is the problem which led to battery failure. IMG-20210421-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20210421-WA0001.jpg