Sonoff for irrigation?

Mars

Honorary Master
So I'm currently using a hunter 401 to run my irrigation and it works ok. Its a pain to figure out how the programming works, but until now I haven't really needed to change it.

Now I want to add some new zones and it only has four. So if I replace the hunter with two 4ch sonoff switches that will give me 6 for zones, one for the pump and an extra one for some garden lights.

I also want to add a new zone on the other side of my house, but I only have one line running there. It runs under probably about 50 meters of paving from my well point so adding another line is not an option. My idea is to put a small manifold and a couple of solenoids on the other end of the line and use a couple of basic sonoff switches to control them.

Then I would be able to just run "front zone" for twice as long and then switch the solenoids there with the basic sonoffs.

It will work out a little more expensive than just buying a 6 zone hunter, but then I have more control and the front zones are essentially working of the same timer as the pump.

What do you all think? Does that make sense? Am I missing anything?

Snyper564

Executive Member
Hey man I highly recommend watching a few videos online, it isn't to complicated and once you understand it its really powerful to control everything. You can even set up multiple programs etc This helped a lot when we installed new grass and needed a totally different watering arrangement to the existing lawn.

Mars

Honorary Master
Hey man I highly recommend watching a few videos online, it isn't to complicated and once you understand it its really powerful to control everything. You can even set up multiple programs etc This helped a lot when we installed new grass and needed a totally different watering arrangement to the existing lawn.
Are you talking about the hunter? Yea I have watched the vids online, and I know about the watering schedules and so on. The thing is, the app is just so much more powerful than that. I have switched all my timers over to the sonoff basic.

Its easy to monitor because I can check exactly what zones are on from my phone, start a zone individually without having to cycle between them.

My only concern is that if the pump gets turned on while all the solenoids are off it may burst a line, but I'm sure I can get (or make) a valve of some sort that will pop if the pressure gets too high.

I know there are hunters with wifi and an app but then we are way above the price of the sonoffs.

Goobie

Expert Member
So I'm currently using a hunter 401 to run my irrigation and it works ok. Its a pain to figure out how the programming works, but until now I haven't really needed to change it.

Now I want to add some new zones and it only has four. So if I replace the hunter with two 4ch sonoff switches that will give me 6 for zones, one for the pump and an extra one for some garden lights.

I also want to add a new zone on the other side of my house, but I only have one line running there. It runs under probably about 50 meters of paving from my well point so adding another line is not an option. My idea is to put a small manifold and a couple of solenoids on the other end of the line and use a couple of basic sonoff switches to control them.

Then I would be able to just run "front zone" for twice as long and then switch the solenoids there with the basic sonoffs.

It will work out a little more expensive than just buying a 6 zone hunter, but then I have more control and the front zones are essentially working of the same timer as the pump.

What do you all think? Does that make sense? Am I missing anything?

Rather get this:

add a raspberry pi and you have a full rock solid irrigation solution. I will never try to irrigate with Sonoff knowing that opensprinkler exists.

Mars

Honorary Master
Rather get this:

add a raspberry pi and you have a full rock solid irrigation solution. I will never try to irrigate with Sonoff knowing that opensprinkler exists.
Nice. I'll have a look at that. Thanks

Edit: Have you used this? I'm struggling to find specs on that website.

Is it the same features available on OpenISprinkler.com unit?

How many zones?
Does it have the sensors or does it solely rely on online weather information?
Is there a possibility of running a remote solenoid as I discussed in the first post?

Last edited:

RVZ

Nice. I'll have a look at that. Thanks

Edit: Have you used this? I'm struggling to find specs on that website.

Is it the same features available on OpenISprinkler.com unit?

How many zones?
Does it have the sensors or does it solely rely on online weather information?
Is there a possibility of running a remote solenoid as I discussed in the first post?

I'm using one of these. It works perfectly with OpenSprinkler, not aware of any features that doesn't work with this. Very easy to setup.

It has 16 zones. It doesn't have any sensors built in. Mine is setup to run on schedules, or by manually turning on certain zones if needed.

I have my water pump connected to a Sonoff switch, so you can either schedule the Sonoff to turn it on and off based on the OpenSprinkler schedules, or use IFTTT to switch on the Sonoff when you start a zone.

rodga

Honorary Master
Also been using the opensprinkler board from smartkit for like 2 or 3 years now. No problems. Currently have 3 zones but hoping to add more this year.

Mars

Honorary Master
I'm using one of these. It works perfectly with OpenSprinkler, not aware of any features that doesn't work with this. Very easy to setup.

It has 16 zones. It doesn't have any sensors built in. Mine is setup to run on schedules, or by manually turning on certain zones if needed.

I have my water pump connected to a Sonoff switch, so you can either schedule the Sonoff to turn it on and off based on the OpenSprinkler schedules, or use IFTTT to switch on the Sonoff when you start a zone.

Do you have a dedicated device for IFTTT? Or do you just run it on your phone.

I like it but I'm still not convinced its better than just running two 4 channel sonoff relays. There's no pi, no firmware, scheduling is done in the app.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Do you have a dedicated device for IFTTT? Or do you just run it on your phone.

I like it but I'm still not convinced its better than just running two 4 channel sonoff relays. There's no pi, no firmware, scheduling is done in the app.
If you use the Sonoff (4Ch Pro as the ordinary 4Ch is AC only) you miss out on features, such as water reduction levels depending on the weather.

Mars

Honorary Master
If you use the Sonoff (4Ch Pro as the ordinary 4Ch is AC only) you miss out on features, such as water reduction levels depending on the weather.
Ive been trying to see what I would be missing, but again I'm struggling to find a list of features.

As for the weather, if I use the Sonoff TH16 with the AM2301 sensor then I can check the humidity directly and use IFTTT to control the zones in case of rain.

I'm still leaning towards OpenSprinkler, but I need to get all my ducks in a row.

cabous

Hey Mars;
Did you make any progress on your controller plans? I'm weighing my options at the moment and are struggling to figure out what is best. I'd like to hear about your set up and how it works for you if you ended up doing it.

Cheers

Mars

Honorary Master
It was a bit of a rabbit hole. Smartkit doesn't have documentation on their stuff so I've been trying to find more info.

The V3 they have there looks good, but I'm not sure I want to risk dropping R1400 on something I'm not sure will work.

I will probably order one once this lockdown nonsense is over but for now Ive been holding off.

Using the sonoff means I need to use relays between the units and the solenoids since theyre 24v DC (I think) and the sonoff is 240v AC so that turned out to be a bit of a PITA.

SAguy

Executive Member
It was a bit of a rabbit hole. Smartkit doesn't have documentation on their stuff so I've been trying to find more info.

The V3 they have there looks good, but I'm not sure I want to risk dropping R1400 on something I'm not sure will work.

I will probably order one once this lockdown nonsense is over but for now Ive been holding off.

Using the sonoff means I need to use relays between the units and the solenoids since theyre 24v DC (I think) and the sonoff is 240v AC so that turned out to be a bit of a PITA.
The Sonoff SV can do 24V, then you can connect the SV directly to the solenoids. The Sonoff SV is less of a consumer device and more of a hobbyist device as it doesn't have terminal blocks on it or a case. You can power the Sonoff SV with the same power supply you're using for you Hunter system, since that's 24v I assume.

You won't find "documentation" on a lot of what these applications for kit like this, these things are made for tinkerers and DIY'ers. So you're not going to find an official instruction manual on "How to use a Sonoff as a sprinkler system" - just blogs and people all tinkering together.

Mars

Honorary Master
The Sonoff SV can do 24V, then you can connect the SV directly to the solenoids. The Sonoff SV is less of a consumer device and more of a hobbyist device as it doesn't have terminal blocks on it or a case. You can power the Sonoff SV with the same power supply you're using for you Hunter system, since that's 24v I assume.

You won't find "documentation" on a lot of what these applications for kit like this, these things are made for tinkerers and DIY'ers. So you're not going to find an official instruction manual on "How to use a Sonoff as a sprinkler system" - just blogs and people all tinkering together.
Oh I forgot about the Sonoff SV, in fact I ordered some in January that unfortunately where never shipped. I must get on ali and query those.

SAguy

Executive Member
Oh I forgot about the Sonoff SV, in fact I ordered some in January that unfortunately where never shipped. I must get on ali and query those.
There's your first mistake... not supporting Smartkit :ROFL:

Mars

Honorary Master
There's your first mistake... not supporting Smartkit :ROFL:
Eh. I try buy local, but I do one or two big buys from ali or banggood containing all the stuff I want to play with.

But I'll get some from them when they can ship again. I think I'll need about 10 so their price is good there.
Netram is just down the drag from me so I go there for quick fixes.

cabous

I found this vid where the guy wired the 4 channel Sonoff to his Hunter kit and maybe it'll put your mind at ease too.

If the Sonoff device can be flashed with Tasmota then I'm pretty much sold. Unfortunately my local shop is out of stock.

Greglsh

@Mars
I also buy certain items that I can't find locally from Banggood, I am wondering when they will start shipping to SA again?

Mars

Honorary Master
I found this vid where the guy wired the 4 channel Sonoff to his Hunter kit and maybe it'll put your mind at ease too.

If the Sonoff device can be flashed with Tasmota then I'm pretty much sold. Unfortunately my local shop is out of stock.
Thats not the one I have. It has a separate power supply. I need to see if I can find one of those.

@Mars
I also buy certain items that I can't find locally from Banggood, I am wondering when they will start shipping to SA again?

I dont think I'm going to order for a while. Ive had 3 packages from December and Jan go missing. Maybe early next year. I dont think I'll have spare cash for the rest of the year anyway.

hellfire

Honorary Master

What solenoids are you using?
How do you distribute water to the solenoids?