Sonoff Zigbee Gateway using tasmota2zigbee review

Tinuva

The Magician
When the Sonoff Zigbee Gateway (real name is Sonoff ZbBridge) was announced, I couldn't wait to get my hands on one to replace my aging Xiaomi Aqara Zigbee gateway. In fact, the newer Sonoff Temp/Humidity, Door/Window sensors didn't work with the Xiaomi gateway at all, as in, refused to pair.

I also managed to break my first Sonoff ZbBridge by pulling the rx/tx with soldered wires, so even had to buy a 2nd one :X3:

There are 2 modes in which the gateway can be used after flashing Tasmota on to it.

1. ZHA - I bet this is the mode that everyone uses. You open a port and it proxies the serial port to the zigbee chip and Home Assistant connect to that (serial over tcp)
2. tasmota2zigbee over MQTT

Eitherway, when it was flashed and I initially tested it in ZHA mode, I really disliked the default names Home Assistant (or ZHA) assigned to the sensors. You add a device, lets say the Temp/Humidity device, then it creates 3 sensors (entities) for temp, humidity and battery. But the names are horrible and impossible to remember when writing automations (which is the main reason for these).
While you can edit the names and change them, also the entity ids, its far too much trouble, never mind if the install is wiped and you have to start over :eek:

So what did I do? I went an even crazier method and decided to write automation rules to use tasmota2zigbee. BUT, now, when you add a device to the gateway (pair), all you have to do, is assign it a name, and Home Assistant will auto discover the sensor and entities with nicely named names and entity ids! This process is easily repeatable and far less frustrating than the ZHA method, apart from the initial head scratching to figure this out...

Anyways, if anyone is interested in also using this, I have the code up on github @ https://github.com/tinuva/home-assi...d872eb0ba6b9d64b/packages/tasmota_zigbee.yaml

The only thing that is not automatic, is if you have a button like the Xiaomi Aqara button, then it is an event you have to listen for and act on. There is an example in the file on github on how to do this as well and it is wife approved :)

I currently have the following devices, tested and working on it:

Sonoff Basic ZBR3 (router/repeater)
Sonoff Zigbee Door/Window sensor
Sonoff Zigbee Temperature/Humidity sensor
Xiaomi Aqara Temperature/Humidity sensor
Xiaomi Aqara button (press button trigger stuff)

Pressure, Illuminance sensors and motion sensors should also work, there is code for that, but I have not tested it. Technically I believe motion will work, because the door/window sensor also reports a motion sensor in addition to the door/window opening/closing.

What I have definitely not tested and I believe won't work without more rules, is lights and especially dimming/color lights that are zigbee.

Tinuva

The Magician
Been running it like this for a month now, and I am very happy. It is rock solid stable and was a worthy upgrade over the Xiaomi zigbee gateway. Also I think I find it slightly more reliable using MQTT instead of the serial over TCP proxy idea of ZHA mode.

Happy to answer any questions if you do have.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
Been running it like this for a month now, and I am very happy. It is rock solid stable and was a worthy upgrade over the Xiaomi zigbee gateway. Also I think I find it slightly more reliable using MQTT instead of the serial over TCP proxy idea of ZHA mode.

Happy to answer any questions if you do have.
Awesome stuff