Sony to fire 1,000 smartphone workers

Polymathic

Honorary Master
That is why I stopped buying Sony phones, the division is not doing well financially which is impacting on the quality of phones they have manufactured

zippy

Executive Member
Meanwhile Apple post record profits and become the most profitable public company ever.

So it's not the smartphone market itself, but it's Sony. That consumers are willing to pay double rather than buy Sony tells you how badly they have messed up.

The_MAC

Executive Member
What a shame, I really love the brand, but just like HTC, slowly disappearing. Hope they recover and get their act together.

MR.C

Expert Member
I thought Sony were improving their handset sales. 2 or 3 years ago, Xperia was not as big a brand as it is now.

TJ99

Honorary Master
I thought Sony were improving their handset sales. 2 or 3 years ago, Xperia was not as big a brand as it is now.
It was bigger (percentage-wise) before iphones and Android came along.

I don't understand this, the z3 and z3c are the best phones out there. How are they not selling millions of the damn things?

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Sony Corp plans to eliminate another 1,000 workers in its smartphone business, mainly in Europe and China, a report said Wednesday.
So how they going to "eliminate" these people? Firing squad? Gassing?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Well Samsung release one flagship about every 6 months, so Sony has to keep up.
They don't, they release their flagship lines yearly. They also cater for a wider scope than Sony does.