Sopwith Source

John_Phoenix

1984 eh?
Fast forward a decade.

Yes, mind blown, and yes, hypothetically wolvenstein 3d could have looked better... At 1fph

John_Phoenix

Nice, but what’s so special about it? It was written in 2011.
That implementation was written in 2011... Guys were writing consumer raytracers in the 90s already.

What is special about that era, is we finally had enough computing power to calculate 3d objects at a non-trivial framerate, basically kickstarting the 3d media industry.

And so, the digital landscape we take for granted today was born.

genetic

Honorary Master
That implementation was written in 2011... Guys were writing consumer raytracers in the 90s already.

What is special about that era, is we finally had enough computing power to calculate 3d objects at a non-trivial framerate, basically kickstarting the 3d media industry.

What's this got do do with the Swopwith source code being freely available?

cguy

Executive Member

Raytracing Software has been available since the 80’s, but it wasn’t realtime until the mid-2000’s (at least for real scenes or non-clusters). There’s also always been at least a decade between getting offline quality in real-time.

Ray tracing is one of my favorite techniques/algorithms.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Remember my old man bringing home his 286 from work so that I could play this game. It was so damn hard!

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Raytracing Software has been available since the 80’s, but it wasn’t realtime until the mid-2000’s (at least for real scenes or non-clusters). There’s also always been at least a decade between getting offline quality in real-time.

Ray tracing is one of my favorite techniques/algorithms.
Instead of opening a separate thread on ray tracing; I thought this online reference would be useful to anyone who'd like to try their hand at building one for themselves: