South Africans are forgetting how traffic lights work

As a result, many drivers are now “automatically treating intersections like four-way stops when the light is actually green, or potentially worse, red,” said Eugene Herbert, MasterDrive CEO.

This can be classified as a form of distracted driving (DWD) as motorists are operating on autopilot and simply going through the motions.

“If, nine times out of ten, on your trip to or from work, there is load-shedding, treating every intersection as a four-way stop may become a habit,” said Herbert.

I have this. Happened to me yesterday at a robot just after I'd done my shopping at Checkers. Went through red. Luckily it was 08h20 and I was the only guy on the road.
 
If we had a active policing department patrolling and actually policing traffic and infringements it would help.

We have only two departments why not:-
Establish a committee to look into this
Rename the Metro Police and the Traffic Police
Establish a 3 month crash course Road Infringement Police

Problem "solved"

The driving in this clowntree is frightening ans certain road users get away with anything like taxis etc
 
I like to call this one, clear the intersection, not blast through at high speeds.

If you are in the intersection waiting to turn, do so now.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20230507_083731_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230507_083731_Samsung Internet.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 49
Well,I normally encounter people stopping at red traffic lights at 5am in the morning when there is virtually no one in sight.
 
Well,I normally encounter people stopping at red traffic lights at 5am in the morning when there is virtually no one in sight.
That would be me...;) I find that if I do not keep in the habit of stopping at a red traffic light, the next time i get to one there may be vehicles approaching in order to cross because it's their turn, I my just "jump the gun". That may be because my brain is becoming used to the filthy habit of not always stopping when it's red. I would rather avoid that. It's a different scenario when there is suspicious characters loitering about at the traffic crossing.
 
Makes sense, they don't know how traffic circles work either.
Or how to treat intersections as fourway stops when the traffic lights are not working
 
Last edited:
Considering the traffic cops will literally sit watching their precious speed camera's while taxis are breaking every traffic law - it is safe to say the SA population has lost all respect and confidence for traffic laws and enforcement.
(Who even still pays fines these days - everyone I know just ignores them)
 
Maybe there's a reason why some people are forgetting how traffic lights work. Yesterday mid morning at the petrol station I saw somebody sipping on a can of Black Label while filling up and then driving off.
 
Maybe there's a reason why some people are forgetting how traffic lights work. Yesterday mid morning at the petrol station I saw somebody sipping on a can of Black Label while filling up and then driving off.
Most likely just coffee in a Black Label tin.
 
In July 2022 wife's car written off by a breakdown truck whose driver went through a red light. She and the car behind her were hit. The breakdown driver got out of his truck waving a gun and said he was going to "f**k up you two ladies."

Luckily there was a Metro cop in the adjacent lane and he arrested the fellow after a fight

Our insurance paid R180k for the car. Last week they notified me that the owner of the breakdown truck company has filed a suit on the insurance co as he maintains his driver was not at fault. They are seeking R1.3m

The driver of the car behind my wife spent 4 days in Constantiaberg Hospital with a neck injury and had to wear a brace. She has since died, but not due to this accident, she had breast cancer. She was only 53
 
Jip this happened to me the other day. I am so used to this one traffic light never working when driving home. I stopped at the green light and then I was like what the hell are you doing idiot.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X