Speedtest results: ONT vs via Router

gryster

Active Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

I recently had my desktop plugged directly into the ONT [(Optical Network Terminal) aka the little fibre termination box that your router normally plugs into]. When doing a speedtest while being directly connected to the ONT I achieved 105Mbps.

However when I do the speedtest from the same desktop and NIC while connected via to the Router using ethernet cable I only get around 89Mbps. Is this acceptable loss of speed? Does it mean my Router is crappy?

Thoughts?

Thanks
 
It's this model Router which claims 300Mbps. Please bear in mind that I'm using an ethernet cable to connect to the router (same one I used to connect to the ONT directly), and I am not using WiFi to eliminate that as a cause.

 
It's this model Router which claims 300Mbps. Please bear in mind that I'm using an ethernet cable to connect to the router (same one I used to connect to the ONT directly), and I am not using WiFi to eliminate that as a cause.

That router is limited to 100Mbit, so yes it will hold you back :)

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 14.59.56.png
 
It's this model Router which claims 300Mbps. Please bear in mind that I'm using an ethernet cable to connect to the router (same one I used to connect to the ONT directly), and I am not using WiFi to eliminate that as a cause.

That 300Mbps is WIFI. Your Lan ports are only 100Mbps. I suggest a gigabit router.
 
Wonder what the manufacturing cost difference is between a fast ethernet vs gigabit ethernet chipset for a router like this. This one is marketed as 750 OTA over the air speed and others are even 1200, but they go through a teeny tiny hole to the internet. How often do you wirelessly transfer files between a desktop and laptop for example vs browse the internet as a home user. Most guys reading this know the difference but as you can see its easy to get confused.

Oddly enough we can thank the chipset shortage for sorting this out as 11n and fast ethernet is becoming more expensive now so soon we can look forward to 11ac and gigabit as entry level in future. One day I will be able to complain about 11ax and 2,5gig ethernet not being the norm :)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X