SSD purchase

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
but the Blue (manufactured on TLC 3D NAND as opposed to SLC) is more bang for buck given the large jump in sequential reads and writes (arguably far more important on an OS drive than purely data, where they both perform similarly), and it lasts longer in total write lifetime.

This doesn't read right, slc nand is the fastest and most durable type of memory available. But it's also the most expensive, hence why manufacturers opt to make (progressively worse) memory cells, mlc, tlc, qlc, that have just good enough performance.

Anyway that aside, almost any reputable branded ssd should be fine since you will probably fully saturate the sata bus before you hit peak controller/memory speeds.

Last edited:

phly

Expert Member
I have been overthinking this @Dimpie (COMPUTEK) and also making a purchase for an old system that also needs a battery has me questioning how wise the whole SSD purchase decision is - thanks to you guys. I was ready to get an SSD but now perhaps a cheapie macbook pro may just be the route to take. Battery will be ohk and should i score one with SSD then two birds with one stone.

*appreciate all the input

Crumbl0x

This doesn't read right, slc nand is the fastest and most durable type of memory available. But it's also the most expensive, hence why manufacturers opt to make (progressively worse) memory cells, mlc, tlc, qlc, that have just good enough performance.

Anyway that aside, almost any reputable branded ssd should be fine since you will probably fully saturate the sata bus before you hit peak controller/memory speeds.
Oh, thank you for catching that!

You're right, they're both TLC actually, with the Blue only having a different controller and some RAM, 3D process + etc., I should've double checked the post

gamer16

Honorary Master
Took the plunge and went for the 500GB WD Blue - thanks
Good, enjoy it.

Don't mind the pretentious posh members, like flies they are never far, only the top row of the highest end hardware is vaguely acceptable to them, they'll hear nothing else of their opinion for what You need.

Do remember to tell said fly how you like the ssd.

Crumbl0x

Good, enjoy it.

Don't mind the pretentious posh members, like flies they are never far, only the top row of the highest end hardware is vaguely acceptable to them, they'll hear nothing else of their opinion for what You need.

Do remember to tell said fly how you like the ssd.
Right, how exactly is recommending and discussing good medium spec Solid State drives being pretentiously posh again?

I'm assuming you're only talking about the couple of us since we're the only ones who mentioned running Evo's (which don't even begin to reach high end hardware) plus there aren't any mentions of NVMe cards in this thread, so you're being unnecessarily rude for no reason indirectly.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Right, how exactly is recommending and discussing good medium spec Solid State drives being pretentiously posh again?

I'm assuming you're only talking about the couple of us since we're the only ones who mentioned running Evo's (which don't even begin to reach high end hardware) plus there aren't any mentions of NVMe cards in this thread, so you're being unnecessarily rude for no reason indirectly.
Right,

how exactly is recommending and discussing good medium spec Solid State drives being pretentiously posh again?

That is my oponion generated from proceedings that occurred, as follows, for Your refference.

I bought this one last year for my old 4th gen i5 computer here at home
Installed Windows 10 on it
It is blazing fast
I cannot believe how quick this computer boots up and behaves
SSD's are awesome

901 reviews averaging 5 out of 5 :thumbsup:

Those WD drives are slow.

Maybe
Im just saying this computer is blazingly fast now

Just make sure your search excludes Mushkin

You assume incorrectly.
I made no mention of NVMe
Rude? Well....

Crumbl0x

Right,

That is my oponion generated from proceedings that occurred, as follows, for Your refference.

You assume incorrectly.
I made no mention of NVMe
Rude? Well....
That observation is right, there was a sorta erroneous remark about the Green being slow, but this is only true when you're pitting it against those two tiers above it and is still fast in its own right (especially compared to HDD's) and some did address that.

I'm not sure I follow your other quoted bits though, they were (I think) mostly joking and still talking about the lower end ones.

I do apologize for assuming incorrectly, thank you for explaining what you meant. I shouldn't have wrongly taken it personally. Yes, you and no one else mentioned NVMe, and I didn't intend for you to perceive me putting words in your mouth.

gamer16

Honorary Master
That observation is right, there was a sorta erroneous remark about the Green being slow, but this is only true when you're pitting it against those two tiers above it and is still fast in its own right (especially compared to HDD's) and some did address that.

I'm not sure I follow your other quoted bits though, they were (I think) mostly joking and still talking about the lower end ones.

I do apologize for assuming incorrectly, thank you for explaining what you meant. I shouldn't have wrongly taken it personally. Yes, you and no one else mentioned NVMe, and I didn't intend for you to perceive me putting words in your mouth.
1628372045216.png

The Voice

Honorary Master
I'd recommend spending just a tad more (when on sale) and go for the WD Blue, it's true that the Green isn't slow by any respectable modern standards, but the Blue (manufactured on TLC 3D NAND as opposed to SLC) is more bang for buck given the large jump in sequential reads and writes (arguably far more important on an OS drive than purely data, where they both perform similarly), and it lasts longer in total write lifetime.

Of course, if the drive will be used for extremely basic needs and the price is right / money tight, you can absolutely go for it. I only wouldn't vouch from the likes of Adata, Kingmax, Patriot, Kingston etc. as they seem to spend less on quality control despite using standard chips.

I personally roll with Samsung Evo's these days for a while now, but the WD Drives have really come a long way since the SanDisk acquisition for their price.
Yeah the Blues are decent. Bought a couple to upgrade my wife and MIL's laptops. Boot times went from minutes to around 10 seconds. Perfect for their use-cases.

I went all the way for my own build, though, and got a Samsung 980 Pro.

_kabal_

Expert Member
Yeah the Blues are decent. Bought a couple to upgrade my wife and MIL's laptops. Boot times went from minutes to around 10 seconds. Perfect for their use-cases.

I went all the way for my own build, though, and got a Samsung 980 Pro.
Posh!!!