Stack overflow survey 2017

cguy

Executive Member
I made a comment on https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/878790-The-best-paid-programmers-in-the-world already.

I think that their cut off at $200k is bogus. It should be done relatively on a per group (locale, type of development, experience) basis. The arbitrary $200k cutoff to remove "extreme outliers", basically just biases the estimated salary in high income/CoL areas downwards. $200k/y total comp is barely average in the Bay Area and NY/London/Sobgapore finance.

Last edited:

cguy

Executive Member
From this, I gather that I have been coding professionally for longer than 92-97% of developers.

As a C++ developer I should also make $50k/y, but wait! In the US it’s $120k/y. Lucky me :)

zippy

Honorary Master
I bet employers saddled with paying Scala salaries must be having sleepless nights and asking who the idiot is who got them invested in Scala :)

gkm

Expert Member
I bet employers saddled with paying Scala salaries must be having sleepless nights and asking who the idiot is who got them invested in Scala :)

Or maybe they are happy to have such good developers, hence willing to pay to keep them. :)

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Nothing wrong with Scala...
...whilst not a mainstream language; it like Clojure, Erlang, F#, Haskell, and OCaml are still very much in demand.

Plus Scala is one of the only languages I know that has successfully integrated OO style polymorphism with the Higher Kinded Type polymorphism of Haskell. That in itself offers a lot of flexibility that isn't available in most multi-paradigm mainstream languages.

John_Phoenix

Expert Member
Wrote my first line of code at 6yo (apple 2 - Basic) with the help of my father. Been writing html, css and js since high school... Still lots to learn, still creative, still foolish, still hungry.

Coding is more of a second language to me than English will ever be.

The beauty is 99% of the time, a developer knows what they did wrong with a system or instruction set. Interaction with other humans is at best pleasant, at worst downright a waste of effort. Humans are wetware, I prefer software.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Why the hate?

You know this is a very subjective view and any discussion around it will attract hard core fanboys and trolls that never worked with anything else?

Both are very verbose compared to the alternatives.

Last edited:

cguy

Executive Member
You know this is a very subjective view and any discussion around it will attract hard code fanboys and trolls that never worked with anything else?

AMD is better than Java!

randomcat

Expert Member
You know this is a very subjective view and any discussion around it will attract hard code fanboys and trolls that never worked with anything else?

Yes, but I like to know peoples perspectives. What is the alternatives?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Yes, but I like to know peoples perspectives. What is the alternatives?

What are you developing?

Angular: you can use React, Vue or stick to vanilla/Typescript depending on complexity

Java: C# is a "do it all" language. Go, NodeJS, Python are great for services.

In fact, if you use Go you can deploy pretty serious performant stuff to a Pi and your docker images will be 10MB instead of 200MB.

Personal preference.

cguy

Executive Member
What are you developing?

Angular: you can use React, Vue or stick to vanilla/Typescript depending on complexity

In fact, if you use Go you can deploy pretty serious performant stuff to a Pi and your docker images will be 10MB instead of 200MB.

Personal preference.
Let’s not forget about C now.

randomcat

Expert Member
What are you developing?

Personal preference.
Still studying Dip IT. My side projects are in React and node. I made a simple store in C# a while back. Recently I decided to check Deno and Typescript. Deno seems like a solid runtime but time will tell. I want to learn c++ just to get my fundamentals down. I never touched Angular and Java so I was curious about why you wouldn't recommend it.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Still studying Dip IT. My side projects are in React and node. I made a simple store in C# a while back. Recently I decided to check Deno and Typescript. Deno seems like a solid runtime but time will tell. I want to learn c++ just to get my fundamentals down. I never touched Angular and Java so I was curious about why you wouldn't recommend it.

From your point of view, as a student, Java is the shizz because your number one objective is to go find a job. Don't bother yourself with the "which language is best" debate yet because by the time you are in a position where it matters there will be 10 new languages and frameworks.