Standard Bank Mobile

Sparkz0629

Expert Member
Hey Guys,

Im looking for some feedback from those that have made use of the Standard Bank Mobile offerings.
Their packages seem decent and they use the CellC services as a backbone.
Just general reviews, experiences etc.

For reference: https://mobile.standardbank.co.za/

comanche

I'm using it, and for the price, it's great.

But, it has some annoying flaws. Let me smash out some of the good bits first:

PROS:

1. This is really a good offer if you're on one of the higher tiers of banking, which have high banking fees.
  2. You get your banking fees as airtime value.
  3. It links to uCount and Credit card purchases and rewards with data.
  4. If you have the MTN or CellC signal, you shouldn't have any download speed issues.
    • Proof: WhatsApp Image 2021-05-21 at 09.58.30.jpeg
CONS:
  1. This is Standard Bank Mobile. Their website is completely non-mobile friendly. It is very much mobile unresponsive. So much so, that I'm doing a UX case study on how badly it performs.
  2. You cannot top-up airtime to purchase a larger bundle of data.
    • This may sound confusing, so, say you're on the Elite Account: You get R110 in airtime for your R42.50 fee. This would still mean that you're scoring R 67.50 in "free" airtime per month.
    • But, for that R110, you can only buy a maximum of 1GB of data at R99, leaving you with R11.
      data_sbm.png
    • That remaining R11 can only be used as voice airtime. You have to purchase more non-inclusive airtime to buy more data. That R11 cannot be used as a top-up.
  3. Have I mentioned the awful website?
  4. There is no Standard Bank Mobile Add-on for the Standard Bank App.
  5. The subscription tier is not easy to understand. Basically, the higher your monthly sub, the cheaper that you can purchase data for.
    • They need to make this an easy-to-work slider, so that you can gauge the best option for yourself.
    • sbm-tiers.png

BUT WHY?
You should only get this if you're balls deep with Standard Bank. Like, house mortgage and car loan.
I have a really good rate on the mortgage, which has kept me with Standard Bank, and I have an amazing person who I deal with, who's kept me as a customer of Standard Bank.
If you're not shackled to them, find a cheaper bank, such as Tyme Bank or Bank Zero, when they eventually go public. Both of their banking fees are R0, so you can free banking. Then, just spend whatever you feel on a phone contract with any of the cellular vampires.

Last edited:

ronz91

Expert Member
Hey Guys,

Im looking for some feedback from those that have made use of the Standard Bank Mobile offerings.
Their packages seem decent and they use the CellC services as a backbone.
Just general reviews, experiences etc.

For reference: https://mobile.standardbank.co.za/
I'm using it, and for the price, it's great.

But, it has some annoying flaws. Let me smash out some of the good bits first:

PROS:

1. This is really a good offer if you're on one of the higher tiers of banking, which have high banking fees.
  2. You get your banking fees as airtime value.
  3. It links to uCount and Credit card purchases and rewards with data.
  4. If you have the MTN or CellC signal, you shouldn't have any download speed issues.
CONS:
  1. This is Standard Bank Mobile. Their website is completely non-mobile friendly. It is very much mobile unresponsive. So much so, that I'm doing a UX case study on how badly it performs.
  2. You cannot top-up airtime to purchase a larger bundle of data.
    • This may sound confusing, so, say you're on the Elite Account: You get R110 in airtime for your R42.50 fee. This would still mean that you're scoring R 67.50 in "free" airtime per month.
    • But, for that R110, you can only buy a maximum of 1GB of data at R99, leaving you with R11.
      View attachment 1073857
    • That remaining R11 can only be used as voice airtime. You have to purchase more non-inclusive airtime to buy more data. That R11 cannot be used as a top-up.
  3. Have I mentioned the awful website?
  4. There is no Standard Bank Mobile Add-on for the Standard Bank App.
  5. The subscription tier is not easy to understand. Basically, the higher your monthly sub, the cheaper that you can purchase data for.
    • They need to make this an easy-to-work slider, so that you can gauge the best option for yourself.
    • View attachment 1073867

BUT WHY?
You should only get this if you're balls deep with Standard Bank. Like, house mortgage and car loan.
I have a really good rate on the mortgage, which has kept me with Standard Bank, and I have an amazing person who I deal with, who's kept me as a customer of Standard Bank.
If you're not shackled to them, find a cheaper bank, such as Tyme Bank or Bank Zero, when they eventually go public. Both of their banking fees are R0, so you can free banking. Then, just spend whatever you feel on a phone contract with any of the cellular vampires.
When one purchases a specific usage rate, such as R49 for 15c per mb, does that get taken off the free airtime or your bank account?

comanche

When one purchases a specific usage rate, such as R49 for 15c per mb, does that get taken off the free airtime or your bank account?
Either, or:
1626983142430.png

I'm on the top-up, so I get the airtime allocation, and I chuck about 2GB into data each month.
Once you run out, you can top-up via the Standard Bank app, I've been told.