Star Citizen

Everyone agrees that the game looks amazing and that the sound design is stunning.


Initial thoughts on Squadron 42 after playing it for 5 hours today:

1) A 4K display with RGB Stripe is highly recommended as the game is beautiful visually and has a lot of text.

2) Audio is very full and on point so if you have a family consider using open back headphones. Using active noise cancellation headphones would be amazing and immersive.

3) Some parts of the game were slow, but I think it's partly feeling that way because I'm an active star citizen player. It may be very appropriate for new people to Star Citizen and Squadron 42, especially the immersive how to segments of the game. 4) I loved the firing range experience in the Idris

5) I got genuine goosebumps, 3 different times, and had to take a break after the 3rd time. The feels...

6) After being in the chaos, sweating bullets, and anxiety passing, the game actually starts... Pure magic how they did that, and made me feel like... Frack, I'm in for it ...

7) Hair and character models were mostly amazing with some suggestions that I gave to make thing less jaring at times here and there.

8) AI was mostly better than I had hoped, but with some traditional Star Citizen AI jank happening here and there but was definitely a minority occurrence. Nearly feels like they could do taxi (Genesis Starliner) missions now with NPCs.

9) Flight model, enjoyable. More on that later.

10) Story, yeah, I got invested in the world and my character.

?/10 rating as I need sleep and time to digest. I haven't played anything for 5 hours straight in years. BUT, I had fun.

Where some don't agree is the cinematics, saying that the game takes too long to start. From the opinions I have read, most didn't seem to have made it through to the actual gameplay. I am unsure what they played because it seems to have been an introduction, the tutorial stages. Others seem to have gotten more mileage than others.

Some points above seem to have been talking points provided in a script slipped into the NDA, the good old addendum to promotional campaigning.

I think the game will be good. I don't think that was ever the problem; the problem is how complete the game will be at launch.

There were two groups, maybe three groups. Group one made the game seem like a walking simulator; the second group is in awe. Maybe it is the Mark Hamill touch, who knows?
 
Everyone agrees that the game looks amazing and that the sound design is stunning.




Where some don't agree is the cinematics, saying that the game takes too long to start. From the opinions I have read, most didn't seem to have made it through to the actual gameplay. I am unsure what they played because it seems to have been an introduction, the tutorial stages. Others seem to have gotten more mileage than others.

Some points above seem to have been talking points provided in a script slipped into the NDA, the good old addendum to promotional campaigning.

I think the game will be good. I don't think that was ever the problem; the problem is how complete the game will be at launch.

There were two groups, maybe three groups. Group one made the game seem like a walking simulator; the second group is in awe. Maybe it is the Mark Hamill touch, who knows?
I'll play SQ42, I like the linear campaign idea. Tell me a good story, give me some cool missions, show me some amazing scripted events. I'm there like a square bear! I'll buy this full price on release day, I'll be a very happy gamer.

I'm not super sold on Star Citizen as an MMO though. I think they shot too far on that. There's far too much detail and systems for that to actually work 100% and run properly. Neat concept, but just far too ambitious. And I say that as someone who avidly followed development very closely for a number of years. They should have just made a freeroam mode for Squadron 42 and made servers and private servers. Basically Freelancer 2.
 
Last edited:


 
Last edited:



I saw it when Sandy Roberts posted it, but I am curious whether they are going to give their OG backers a Steam key. There have been many changes around the Squadron 42 package/pledge.

Can locks on SQ42 pledges now be changed, or do they now allow buybacks again?

I am curious whether this has something to do with their Steam listing.
 
So... everyone (I think) who has a Squadron 42 pledge has the game's standard edition. I don't know how many more editions the game will have. I won't be surprised that they are going to dangle a carrot to make their existing backers buy the game twice.

Looking at the game's data on Steam, there seem to be three editions. None named at this time other than Squadron 42. These packages do not mean it is a game edition per se.

I wasn't a Kickstarter backer. I backed the game the day it became playable on RSI. I don't know what changed since Kickstarter, I mean their pledge, but Kickstarter backers did get a mission disk. I can't say whether this mission disk is the game or additional missions. Then, when the game released a public roadmap, they started talking about episodes, and Episode 2 was named "Behind Enemy Lines," which is the mission disk. Episode 1 is Squadron 42, and Episode 3 remains a mystery.

Squadron 42 was initially developed by Foundry 42, which was a studio within CIG, but was later merged into CIG. The language changed; back then it was a 20-hour game, then Roberts made it a 40-hour game.

We don't know whether the game is still episodic, but I think this was dropped at some point during development; however, this does not negate that it could be rebundled as DLC.

Squadron 42 is coming whenever, but I think there will be two expansions. Ignoring the other DLCs.

Kickstarter backers might get access to one or more DLCs, depending on their backing level. RSI backers will only get Squadron 42; well, you would have to have the game package.

Time will tell.

Also,


  • Squadron 42 - A Wing Commander style single player mode, playable OFFLINE if you want
Playable offline or online, co-op with friends, you sign up for a tour of duty with the UEE fleet, manning the front lines, protecting settlements from Vanduul warbands.


Enlist in the UEE Navy in a cinematic, single-player space adventure. Pilot combat ships, fight on foot, and explore capital ships, space stations, and frontier outposts. Live and work alongside your crew as you battle on the front lines of a galactic war.

...

Requires 3rd-Party Account: Roberts Space Industries (Supports Linking to Steam Account)

Their pledge did change.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X