State capture inquiry begins

Priapus

Executive Member
Wont happen, lots of evidence they are keeping to themselves. Evidence like the ANCWL email asking Regiments to pay their flights in exchange for favours etc

You believe they're only releasing redacted versions of the reports?

surface

Honorary Master
Not really, his name is mentioned once;
Ramaphosa 1 | Zuma 19
Ramaphosa is mentioned 3 times - you reckon his arrest is imminent now?

Evidence was completed on 12 August 2021, when President Ramaphosa testified for
the second time

The High-Level Review Panel was established by President Cyril Ramaphosa in
June 2018

As President Ramaphosa remarked in his testimony, there has been a “massive system
failure and we need to correct what has happened in the past.

surface

Honorary Master
I wonder if there is mention of collusion from likes of FNB and standard bank? I don't recall banks flagging transactions? I vaguely recall some action taken to freeze accounts but it was way later after the horse had bolted.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So what does everyone expect this report to amount to?
Nothing out of the ordinary, arrests, long drawn out prosecutions and the piblic complaining that the NPA is not doing anything while the cases are in courts.

We have a problem with a bottleneck happening at the courts and we need to solve that, we still have pending cases of people arrested a couple of years ago, I honestly don't know how we are going to move forward with the Zondo recommendations if we are still stuck with old cases before courts.

Last edited:

surface

Honorary Master
Nothing out of the ordinary, arrests, long drawn out prosecutions and the piblic complaining that the NPA os not doing anything while the cases are in courts.

We have a problem with a bottleneck happening at the courts and we need to solve that, we still have pending cases of people arrested a couple of years ago, I honestly don't know how we are going to move forward with the Zondo recommendations if we are still stuck with old cases before courts.
In addition, I am sure that another bottleneck is with NPA prosecutors before they present the case to courts. Do they have enough prosecutors to investigate & charge criminals by now? I recall initial interviews of Batohi etc about this but don't recall if budget was increased and whether vacancies were filled.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Nothing out of the ordinary, arrests, long drawn out prosecutions and the piblic complaining that the NPA os not doing anything while the cases are in courts.

Beyond just a bottleneck at the courts, we also have a judicial system that seems unable to nip abuse of the judicial process in the bud. People are "allowed" to draw out court proceedings to the nth degree with complete bollocks.

In addition, I am sure that another bottleneck is with NPA prosecutors before they present the case to courts. Do they have enough prosecutors to investigate & charge criminals by now? I recall initial interviews of Batohi etc about this but don't recall if budget was increases and whether vacancies were filled.

The NPA is definitely understaffed in those terms yeah, and I don't think their budget has been increased significantly enough to fill all the gaps yet.

surface

Honorary Master
Hopefully they flush out ANC/Zupta cadres in PWC and Nkonki inc but I suppose it would be a collective responsibility from these 2 companies with no names identified.

oh..noes. It was that damn oversight again.. she is very clever and always unfortunate - this oversight lady it seems has a name this time - she is Yakhe Kwinana.

"The accountable audit partner accepts responsibility for this regrettable and unfortunate oversight and has accepted a monetary sanction from the IRBA (The Independent Regulatory Board for Auditors)for this unfortunate oversight."

In late 2014 and early 2015, PWC bid for three tenders with Kwinana & Associates, a firm owned by then-SAA board member Yakhe Kwinana.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
RIP and Condolences, but the state capturers are going to live forever and enjoy their ill-gotten gains.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Yip.

Koen doesn't seem to be entertained by Dali's argument. Zuma lose this one, I am expecting a all new plea which I hope will be shot down by Koen, but then it is likely that a move to have Koen recused will be made.

I have a idea that Zuma and co. wants to swing this back to the ConCourt.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
How can an "old person" be forced to go through a six month trial before he can appeal, Mpofu asks.

Odd, né. Not too long ago, Zuma took the position that he is ready to go on trial, and has since this trial was set to begun started to plea. Dali needs to be reminded.

Mpofu now argues that - if Zuma's appeal bid fails and he lodges a "special entry" on questions of law in the case - Koen has no choice but to refer these issues to the Appeal Court.

Special entry, like in a new plea? This is all going to swing back to the High Court.

surface

Honorary Master
I have a idea that Zuma and co. wants to swing this back to the ConCourt.
for (int EachCrime = 1; EachCrime < infinity; EachCrime++)
{
HighCourt(EachCrime);
SupremeCourt(EachCrime);
ConCourt(EachCrime);
if (CriminalDies) break;

}

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
for (int EachCrime = 1; EachCrime < infinity; EachCrime++)
{
HighCourt(EachCrime);
SupremeCourt(EachCrime);
ConCourt(EachCrime);
if (CriminalDies) break;

}

Mpofu argues that Koen's finding that Zuma's fair trial complaints were best assessed at the end of his trial is deeply "unjust".

Koen raises concerns about the time that Mpofu has spent on his arguments - given that this appeal application has been set down for one day.

He also recognises that Mpofu has to be somewhere tomorrow - a reference to his role in questioning future Chief Justice candidates for the JSC, Mpofu promises that his fellow Zuma counsel, Thabani Masuku, will be quicker.

We adjourn.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I am obviously not all that clued up on the nuances of the courts and processes, but at what point do judges just go "Enough, trial NOW!"