Steam and Half Life

MrG

Executive Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
6,007
Reaction score
21
Hey Guys

Alrighty.

I have a steam account with all the Half Lifes out so far loaded.

All I have installed on my PC is atm is steam. Thats it. I have CDs for Half Life 2 from the first launch day whenever that was.

Very outdated Counter Strike Source for example. Is there any way I can get the game files locally somehow and only do a small amount via my international?

Downloading that much data international is just a little bit expensive.

I did the stupid thing wanting to play asap and thats buying Episode 1 and 2 online via Steam. Downloaded it way back when I still had LOTS of cap.
 
Is there any way I can get the game files locally somehow and only do a small amount via my international?

Download the cracked version(s) from Local torrent/news or get the disks from a mate. I'm also busy doing this. I just replaced the files created by steam with the cracked ones. It verifies it and then just updates the last bit on International :)
 
IS Is hosting a local content server, so connect with Route Sentry, let it connect (Steam) and start updating the files and then just disconnect your international with Route Sentry, it will then download with your local only account...
 
IS Is hosting a local content server, so connect with Route Sentry, let it connect (Steam) and start updating the files and then just disconnect your international with Route Sentry, it will then download with your local only account...

Ah. Did not know that. That is excellent news! Thank you SlyFly :)
 
yeah I just noticed that its downloading full speed with my local only account :D via STEAM!
 
Download the cracked version(s) from Local torrent/news or get the disks from a mate. I'm also busy doing this. I just replaced the files created by steam with the cracked ones. It verifies it and then just updates the last bit on International :)

I did this for UT3, got it on special from Steam, and borrowed the dvd from someone, saved a good 6gb+ of bandwidth.

I then shared my Steam created backup with another guy, works a charm.
 
Which files are IS hosting?

So far:

Counter Strike Source and Half Life 2 is speeding up now and again via Local Only then back to International again.. normal? Kinda jump around..

Will try see what happens when its just on local only..
 
Last edited:
Its not working that well for me. Kinda slows down to international account now and again and if its just on Local it stops downloading.
 
Working very well now :) Awesome local mirror that
 
LMAO...

Yea big ups to IS, I know SGS had one for a while but took it down because to many internationals using it and they dont have the bandwidth to waste *cough*&cough*
 
Dunno that info atm but it pretty much will im sure.

If ur speed goes above 40kb a second updating or downloading something in Steam u can be sure its using the IS Content Server.
 
You could try getting the information by typing "netstat" in a command console while the transfer is taking place.

That should provide you with the IP address of the source and therefore the location.
 
Dunno that info atm but it pretty much will im sure.

If ur speed goes above 40kb a second updating or downloading something in Steam u can be sure its using the IS Content Server.


Not necessarily, just the other day, I downloaded an update at 200-300, and I traced the IP to somewhere in the US. and I regularly get fast downloads from some of the far east content servers.
 
Does the IS mirror like more Steam content.. like downloading Doom 3 from Steam or just HL stuff?
 
Does the IS mirror like more Steam content.. like downloading Doom 3 from Steam or just HL stuff?

When I read the report, I think I remember it stating all STEAM content.
 
netstat noa

You could try getting the information by typing "netstat" in a command console while the transfer is taking place.

Check the PID of Steam in task manager. Then launch the update and do a "netstat -n -o -a" in cmd and look up the Steam PID. It should then show you what server(s) it is connected to.

If you want you can then "force" your steam to use IS by blocking the international content server IPs one by one - Good luck with that :p
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X