Strain eyes with glasses?

Dolby

Honorary Master
I wear glasses most the time.

I've heard two stories about not wearing them from time to time, both which sound logical too me :

If you take them off, your eyes strain to see correctly and get sore/worse. Rather wear them

and

If you take them off, your eyes work to see and get stronger and not so reliant

So do I remove to make em work and get stronger? Or will they get weaker?

CathJ

Expert Member
Depends on what's wrong with your eyes... most problems aren't really due to weak muscles, so making them work harder to strengthen them won't really help. Not wearing glasses will cause the muscles around your eyeball to work harder to try to compensate (even though it doesn't actually help your vision), leading to tiredness and headaches.

Keeper

Honorary Master
I heard if you wear them more, your eyes will get better....

dunno which is true but without them i havent had my eyes get any better....

onebrickshort

I reckon glasses are a scam With wavefront laser these days, who needs glasses or contacts?

CathJ

Expert Member
I reckon glasses are a scam With wavefront laser these days, who needs glasses or contacts?
People who can't afford it? People with thin corneas, myopia, or several other problems which make them unsuitable for surgical correction such as LASIK?

onebrickshort

Is that why you type in bold half the time? Cause you cant see?
And the other half of the time you just cant find the bold button?
I am a bold aficionado. I have lots of bold keys on my diamond encrusted, custom keyboard

Just_Ice

Executive Member
I am a bold aficionado. I have lots of bold keys on my diamond encrusted, custom keyboard
O well. That sounds like a very nice keyboard. But somehow I think that you are lying about it and need an eye test.

A pretty decent immitation imo.

acidrain

Expert Member
come to think of glasses... need to go for a check-up. Cant remember when last i went for one :eek:

Pixie22

Expert Member
I'm supposed to wear glasses, but I only wore them for 2 weeks and then forgot after that. that was 11 years ago. I prefer not to see every little detail, people are prettier that way ^_^

ObeyTheDiode

I wear glasses most the time.

I've heard two stories about not wearing them from time to time, both which sound logical too me :

If you take them off, your eyes strain to see correctly and get sore/worse. Rather wear them

and

If you take them off, your eyes work to see and get stronger and not so reliant

So do I remove to make em work and get stronger? Or will they get weaker?
Both the claims are totally unfounded.

If you are near-sighted and wear your glasses to e.g. read your eyes get strained more since they have to compensate for the correcting effect your glasses have (which isn't necessary in this case). Vice versa for far-sightedness . Straining your eyes will definitely not make them stronger! It will only make them worse, if anything.

If you are near-sighted and try to look far, with or without glasses, your eyes aren't strained except if you try hard to focus read something from afar.

The myth that not wearing your glasses makes them stronger is a psychological phenomenon. If you've been wearing your glasses and suddenly take them off, you think "****, my eyesight is bad!". After a while though you (brain) adapt to this vision and thus the myth originated that not wearing your glasses makes your eyes stronger.