Streaming within a network

avk

Hi all.

Looking for a software solution to stream audio and video from one laptop to another (connected to external speakers and data projector) in a different room. Both are connected to the same WiFi network. Has to be a free or very low cost solution as it is for a school with limited financial backing. Social distancing means splitting larger classes into two, and they want to test a solution like this to see how workable it is in a real word scenario. This is instead of teaching the same class twice.

Anybody have some ideas that are easy to use, simple to set up? I know it is possible via solutions such as Zoom/Teams/Meets, but I am in need of one that can be used easily directly over the network instead of involving the internet.

Thx!

saor

Honorary Master
Depending on proximity you could run a physical cable from the video out on the laptop to a display in the other room & set the laptop to duplicate display mode.

avk

Depending on proximity you could run a physical cable from the video out on the laptop to a display in the other room & set the laptop to duplicate display mode.
It's an option. But would prefer a solution using the existing network. This could get to a point where multiple classes will be shared at the same time, and physical class sizes also play a roll. E.g. classes large enough to handle one class being split into two aren't always next to each other. Might even have a situation where one class must be shared to two other classes? Hope that makes sense....

R_D_V

Is the idea to have a teacher in one room and stream their live lesson to the other rooms or are you just wanting to stream pre-recorded content?

avk

Is the idea to have a teacher in one room and stream their live lesson to the other rooms or are you just wanting to stream pre-recorded content?
Live streaming the lesson to 1 or more other classrooms. Not pre-recorded lessons.

Pre-recorded is a much easier solution (as you can just play the video file in the room), but we would like to test the live stream idea just to see how it works.

R_D_V

Live streaming the lesson to 1 or more other classrooms. Not pre-recorded lessons.

Pre-recorded is a much easier solution (as you can just play the video file in the room), but we would like to test the live stream idea just to see how it works.
Have you had a look at VLC? I don't know for sure but I think it can do what you're looking for. There are a few tutorials online showing how to share a live webcam feed over a local network using VLC.

Last edited:
Just an idea what about TeamViewer with a direct connection to the other laptop's IP address and then the start meeting function in TeamViewer? I see it offers a presentation as well as a video call option.

krycor

Honorary Master
Empathy seems to be the one people use for this sort of thing but it is *nix/gnome based.

Another one is this.. IP Messaenger

Haven't used either just be scanning the web

Hellhound105

Expert Member
The only other thing I can think of is Universal Media Server, but thats for pre-recorded

avk

Thanks all! Will try your suggestions.

I asked Uncle Google as well, but was thinking I could perhaps get a few suggestions here that are tried and tested. :)

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Open Broadcast Studio maybe? Found this link that sounds similar to what you are looking for.

I tested Nextcloud Talk about a year ago which worked pretty much out of the box but that was on an internet connected Nextcloud server - not sure if there are any additional steps if you want to keep it on the LAN without going out to the Net.

krycor

Honorary Master
Thanks all! Will try your suggestions.

I asked Uncle Google as well, but was thinking I could perhaps get a few suggestions here that are tried and tested. :)
Yea.. it’s a tricky thing though as this is very niche ie peer to peer vid conferencing/telephony.

Keep in mind that 1-to-1 calls usually establish a semi direct link (well back in the day) post call establishment so might be useful to check if the standard Skype call does this.. I know Skype does some funky network discovery.

But yah with the Fibre abundance and lte this kind of use case is not as common.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Apparently vlc can do it:

Forward to 39 minutes as well, lots of random stuff in between.

agentrfr

Expert Member
Hi all.

Looking for a software solution to stream audio and video from one laptop to another (connected to external speakers and data projector) in a different room. Both are connected to the same WiFi network. Has to be a free or very low cost solution as it is for a school with limited financial backing. Social distancing means splitting larger classes into two, and they want to test a solution like this to see how workable it is in a real word scenario. This is instead of teaching the same class twice.

Anybody have some ideas that are easy to use, simple to set up? I know it is possible via solutions such as Zoom/Teams/Meets, but I am in need of one that can be used easily directly over the network instead of involving the internet.

Thx!
You can capture with OBS, send internally UDP to VLC, and have VLC restream as http. That way you can have as many people watch live simultaniously as you want and lag of ~100ms.

PM me if you need help setting it up

**and it is completely free