Stuttering

homeboy

My child stutters, he is 8. Sometimes it is bad. do you guys know of any cure? or will he grow out of it? I`m afraid it will affect his confidence. any tips on how to handle it?

saor

Honorary Master
Does it happen quite randomly or only at certain moments like when they're excited, angry etc.

Pitbull

Verboten
My child stutters, he is 8. Sometimes it is bad. do you guys know of any cure? or will he grow out of it? I`m afraid it will affect his confidence. any tips on how to handle it?
Speach therapy would be the safest bet. Some people never out grow it, so rather not take the chance.

Ocali

Expert Member
i have a bit of a stutter myself... could be a medical issue with his tongue,(dont know correct terminology sorry) best to seek a medical opinion. my parents did take me to a Speech Therapist at one point, it does help.

Batista

Executive Member
My friend was abused when he was a young child, led to him stuttering all his life.You need to get a proper diagnoses because in my friends case there was nothing doctors could do because it was brain damage.

MrR

Expert Member
Speach therapy would be the safest bet. Some people never out grow it, so rather not take the chance.
+1. Had a mate that had it since small and started going for speech therapy sessions around age 14. He never grew out of it. Might do your son good somewhere in the future as well (e.g. being a well outspoken person has its benefits).

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I might be giving away very personal information, but I have stuttered my entire life. Sometimes extremely severely, sometimes you won't even notice. I have been to speech therapists.

So, some tips. First, do not react to your child's stutter. Your child is probably already aware of his stutter and self conscious. Do not tell him to take a breath, do not tell him to slow down. Do not finish his sentences unless he gives you permission to. In most cases it is a bad idea.

Do not focus attention on his stutter, in other words.

Contact a speech therapist immediately and get him assessed. If he begins therapy soon, he might outgrow it and not stutter as an adult. I did not outgrow it.

Different people deal with stutters in different ways. Myself, it has never really stopped me from interacting. I talk to random strangers, I give presentations, and I make phone calls, even though I really don't like the phone. I have had people laugh at me, had people tease me, had people ask me if I forgot my name. Usually it is just ignorance - people unaware of what a stutter is. I always participated in class, and put my hand up in class to answer questions if I knew the answer.

I don't why I did, or why my stutter does not really affect me socially. I think my stutter is perhaps not as bad as some - sometimes I am pretty fluent, even on the phone. Some people suffer from terrible social anxiety relating to their stutter, and this can really affect them. Be careful to make sure that your son does not develop such anxiety.

Devill

Damned
Speech therapy.

T-Man

DAF - Delayed Auditory Feedback

You get apps on the PC and I see on phones now.

Does wonders..

Interesting that (maybe some) people don't stutter while they recite something together with someone else.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
DAF - Delayed Auditory Feedback

You get apps on the PC and I see on phones now.

Does wonders..

Interesting that (maybe some) people don't stutter while they recite something together with someone else.
I tried that. DAF refers to a device called the SpeakEasy, which is a little thing that goes in your ear, and plays back your own speech to you. This tricks your brain into thinking that you are speaking in a group, so it can eliminate stuttering.

For me, there was not a noticeable difference in fluency, because my fluency is highly variable. When I have good days, you won't know that I stutter. When I have bad days, every word is a battle.

Another popular option for which your son is too young is a weekend course on intercostal breathing techniques. I forget the name of the course. But they also focus quite a lot on social anxiety, which is not applicable to me.

Replay

Executive Member
i have a bit of a stutter myself... could be a medical issue with his tongue,(dont know correct terminology sorry) best to seek a medical opinion. my parents did take me to a Speech Therapist at one point, it does help.
Really? Doesn't come across that way at all

cerebus

Honorary Master
In our office there are a couple of guys with stutters - one very severe. He also happens to be one of the top software architects, and a generally brilliant guy. It hasn't stopped him at all. If you can't get your child to overcome the physical stutter itself, rather focus on overcoming the social effects that it tends to cause. Anyway most devs and engineers I know are barely verbal.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Yeah best to let the pros handle it...speech therapy.

You asking for a "cure" strikes me as a little alarming though...this is something that is (best case) gradually reduced over a significant amount of time until its no longer noticeable, not "cured".

Anyway most devs and engineers I know are barely verbal.
Yeah...computers have help on this front I think. If you can program like a boss then you've at least got a stable & comfortable spot in society. Wouldn't want to be in the 17th century with a stutter...

When I have good days, you won't know that I stutter. When I have bad days, every word is a battle.
Mind sharing what constitutes a "good" day? Or rather what is it linked to? Stress levels? Sleep? Emotional state?

froot

Honorary Master
Hard to say whether he will grow out of it. I've had it for about 20 years now. It's fine one day, and horrible the next.
Stress certainly doesn't help.
Advice as to how to handle it? It depends on what causes it.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
I stuttered until about i was 8, my grandmother helped me, she made me repeat certain sentences the whole time, i also went to a speech therapist but it was mostly my gran which helped me overcome it. Today i don't stutter at all, but it does differ from person to person.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Mind sharing what constitutes a "good" day? Or rather what is it linked to? Stress levels? Sleep? Emotional state?
Difficult to predict, but in general I think my background stress levels are usually more important than specific stress levels. If I am relaxed, I can cope with stressful situations better. If things are piling up around me and I'm feeling stressed, even normal situations result in me stuttering badly.

But it all depends and it seems random sometimes.