Supplements for vegetarian gymming necessary?

Jadax

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2020
Messages
117
Reaction score
2
So I decided to start going to the gym (never been), and starting with simple stuff - 3x circuit + 2x cardio days. The issue is, I'm a veg (not vegan) so not sure if my diet is lacking in proteins etc which are good to have when trying to get in shape.

Should I stick with my diet, or get a simple whey, or buy multivitamins etc. First time so not sure how to approach it and if I need anything (no eggs, no chicken etc for me - I can have dairy products etc.)
 
It would help us if we knew if you were trying to put on weight or loss it...
 
It would help us if we knew if you were trying to put on weight or loss it...
Losing weight.
You can't supplement a bad diet in to a good one so get your diet assessed to see if it meets your goals.
Yep I guess that's an option - will see if my gym has any dietitian to just get me started. Thing is, I just graduated so my diet was not ideal (missed most breakfasts, would do a pasta/bread lunch for the most part, dinner was whatever I could make), but I'm trying to improve it all now that I can.
Don't supplement. Just enjoy it, be conscious of your eating, which you already are, and see what results you achieve in 2 months.
That's fair, will give it a couple of months first.
 
if you are doing the veg thing right you shouldn't need to supplement. supplements are supplements.

you should prob be on a b12 or multi vit supplement anyway though from my understanding
 
Try to cut your bread and rice down, if you can avoid them entirely. Increase your protein and fat intake. Focus on increasing your dairy intake in particular add butter to your meals and by butter I mean actual butter and not margarine, eat a lot more cheese and look at working stuff like paneer, halloumi and even avos are good. Double cream yogurt another plain yogurt also something worth having your diet.

It's hard to recommend stuff without having an idea of your actual diet
 
Try to cut your bread and rice down, if you can avoid them entirely. Increase your protein and fat intake. Focus on increasing your dairy intake in particular add butter to your meals and by butter I mean actual butter and not margarine, eat a lot more cheese and look at working stuff like paneer, halloumi and even avos are good. Double cream yogurt another plain yogurt also something worth having your diet.

It's hard to recommend stuff without having an idea of your actual diet

Just a side, you can only really eat like this if you maintain a slight caloric deficit, plus gym at least 3 times a week.
 
Just a side, you can only really eat like this if you maintain a slight caloric deficit, plus gym at least 3 times a week.
Yes, consuming fats helps decrease ghrelin production, ghrelin is the hormone responsible for hunger and a smaller extent promoting fat productions.
A high far diet will actually have you eating less overall.
 
Thanks guys, going to give it a bit and see how my gymming with current diet goes.

I think I'll probably have to start some supplement - my veg diet is decent, but not great - trying to incorporate more greens, but usually only get those that are in season. Not big into fruits. Eat nuts etc once in a while. Lentils I try to make some atleast once a day, but limited to 3-4 types for now.

A friend of mine actually has some Evox synergy whey mp5 that he doesn't use and has offered to me, but not sure if I should use that or a normal whey protein.
 
Thanks guys, going to give it a bit and see how my gymming with current diet goes.

I think I'll probably have to start some supplement - my veg diet is decent, but not great - trying to incorporate more greens, but usually only get those that are in season. Not big into fruits. Eat nuts etc once in a while. Lentils I try to make some atleast once a day, but limited to 3-4 types for now.

A friend of mine actually has some Evox synergy whey mp5 that he doesn't use and has offered to me, but not sure if I should use that or a normal whey protein.
What is your current diet? You need to calculate your daily energy needs and adjust from there while ensuring you meet your macro nutrients goals (protein, fat, carb).

You will avoid a lot of headaches if you go get a trainer or anyone knowledgeable who can advise your diet goals.

Exercise is mostly about what you eat. You won't be able.to.eet any goals.if your diet remains s h I t.

Suppliments will make it worse if you don't and are only really useful to get the macros met on a slow day.
 
The best supplement, unless you have an actual diagnosed deficiency, is real food. Like someone upthread said, you can't supplement away a poor diet.

Vegetarian or not, if you are eating properly you don't need a supplement. You only think you might need one because they hire the best marketing teams and have religious fanboys who have subtly but effectively placed that seed there.

I think you made the right choice to improve your diet now that you aren't a student and see how it goes on that. Basic principles apply as with any diet.
 
Please ignore everything everyone said in this thread and go see a dietician! I can't stress this enough.

The dietitian will be able to determine if you have any deficiencies in your diet - and will be able to give advice on how to supplement it. Please don't make the same mistake I did by following random advice causing issues months later due to prolonged bad eating habits.
 
Please ignore everything everyone said in this thread and go see a dietician! I can't stress this enough.

The dietitian will be able to determine if you have any deficiencies in your diet - and will be able to give advice on how to supplement it. Please don't make the same mistake I did by following random advice causing issues months later due to prolonged bad eating habits.

clown
 
Eat healthy and take a decent multi vitamin. You don't need any supplements, especially if you are a beginner, it wont miraculously make you gain muscle or lose fat. The only way to see results is hard work and consistency. Your goals would determine how much you should be eating, lose weight, eat less, gain weight, eat more.
 
Best supplement: Beef. Take it either minced, stuffed in a casing or in it's original form over hot coals.
Bacon is a much better supplement / condiment / major food group / necessity / medication
1582183491779.png
I can guarantee that if you eat bacon with every meal and whenever possible, you will have the best life ever.
 
Good rebuttal :thumbsup:

I may have been overdramatic, but the point remains. How to screw up your health? Follow random advice on the Internet from strangers. Experienced first hand
 
Good rebuttal :thumbsup:

I may have been overdramatic, but the point remains. How to screw up your health? Follow random advice on the Internet from strangers. Experienced first hand

most of the advice was in line with correcting ones diet and seeking help but you come here like Mr Importance himself and say everything should be ignored.
 
Please ignore everything everyone said in this thread and go see a dietician! I can't stress this enough.

The dietitian will be able to determine if you have any deficiencies in your diet - and will be able to give advice on how to supplement it. Please don't make the same mistake I did by following random advice causing issues months later due to prolonged bad eating habits.
Sounds like something that person who is or married to a professional dietitian would say.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X