Switch Between WAN/LTE on schedule

animehero

Expert Member
Greetings

Hopefully I'm asking in the right place.
I've seen this discussed before,and now that i think about it,I might have thought of an additional cost hardware solution.

I have very poor ADSL connectivity,thinking of getting the rain LTE and dropping the ADSL service to 2mbps or 4mbps(whichever is available/cheapest).

Scenario : Use Rain LTE Uncapped add on for regular internet browsing until 17:55,then switch over to ADSL Automatically until the following day at 8am,whereby ADSL becomes the primary connection.

I have an ASUS N14U and a Gargoyle router.
My idea was to use this guide - https://itbusters.wordpress.com/201...lover-between-wan-and-3g-on-tp-link-wr1043nd/

And get a timer for the plug the modem goes into.Kill the modems power between 8am-5:54pm and have it auto switch over.Looking for a software solution so I dont have to buy the timer though.

Any ideas?

RoganDawes

Expert Member
Asus N14U runs AsusWRT, which is basically a custom fork of OpenWRT, I believe. That said, the root filesystem is read only, and 100% full, so I'm not 100% sure how one goes about configuring additional apps or cron jobs on it.

Regardless, the N14U DOES support configuration of an ethernet port as a WAN uplink, which you could use for the RAIN modem. I'd look at scheduling a job that simply switches the default route between the two options at a particular time. Or possibly keeps both default routes, and simply updates the metric of the preferred route may be better.

animehero

Expert Member
Asus N14U runs AsusWRT, which is basically a custom fork of OpenWRT, I believe. That said, the root filesystem is read only, and 100% full, so I'm not 100% sure how one goes about configuring additional apps or cron jobs on it.

Regardless, the N14U DOES support configuration of an ethernet port as a WAN uplink, which you could use for the RAIN modem. I'd look at scheduling a job that simply switches the default route between the two options at a particular time. Or possibly keeps both default routes, and simply updates the metric of the preferred route may be better.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Looks like it might be more complicated than expected.

My new plan is get this Plug for the ADSL modem (scheduled off/on),then setup the Gargoyle Router to auto failover to the 3G connection when the WAN link goes down

RoganDawes

Expert Member
It really shouldn't be that complicated, I'd certainly give it a try first before running out and spending extra cash on wifi-connected devices to turn OFF the wifi access point! :)

under_sky

Did you manage to get this method working ? I would have tried doing it with a mikrotik switch but no idea if you can add time management to a port etc to turn on or off at times

stepper

Expert Member
If you can run OpenWrt or Gargoyle on your Asus router then you can enable multi-wan and have ADSL on wan 1 and LTE(through a LTE router LAN) on wan 2.
Enable Cron and schedule your wan switch accordingly

netstrider

Why don't you try writing a batch script that changes your gateway (and IP if necessary) and add it to Windows task scheduler?

SoulSeeker

Why don't you try writing a batch script that changes your gateway (and IP if necessary) and add it to Windows task scheduler?
This actually worked for me but limits you to just your windows devices.

What animehero is looking for is to have dual WAN connections for his whole network to switch between....
In fact, I found this post because I've been searching to try and do the exact same thing...