Synology DiskStation DS218j - Our readers' reviews

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
Bit more affordable than the previous one
Not sure about the attachment of the HDD ?
How difficult would it be to have an easy hassle-free "caddy-system" ?
Even my ancient DNS323 lets you just slide the drives in and lever lock

Wonders of wonders -- there IS such an option in the DS218 PLUS -- which is also black

DS 218+ Hardware Installation

Suggestion to MyBB and local SYNOLOGY agents

Choose more INTELLIGENT reviewers !

Here

Comparing Synology NAS: Choosing between DS218+, DS218, DS218play, and DS218j

To help you

Last edited:

rorz0r

Executive Member

Here

To help you
What does the intelligence of the reviewers have to do with anything? The more expensive one is better and has more features than the more affordable one...
Whether it's worth paying an extra 3k for drive caddy's on something you'll likely not have to do more than once, 4K transcoding, an intel cpu, and "black" is up to you.

Ghost29

The GUI is really slow to access even on the local network. I use mine primarily as a media storage box as it wasn't really powerful enough to run media streaming as well. I have PleX installed on a different PC which is a bit annoying as I would have expected to be able to run it from the NAS.

Overall, as an entry level option, it's not bad. But for the most part, I find NAS's to be very overpriced locally.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
The GUI is really slow to access even on the local network. I use mine primarily as a media storage box as it wasn't really powerful enough to run media streaming as well. I have PleX installed on a different PC which is a bit annoying as I would have expected to be able to run it from the NAS.

Overall, as an entry level option, it's not bad. But for the most part, I find NAS's to be very overpriced locally.
They are for the average person that only knows Incredible Connection.

Dan C

Honorary Master

So you are better off with something like a HP microserver ?

Thor

Honorary Master

Plex is not the job of a NAS (its in the name, storage only.)

Tinuva

The Magician
DS218+ does plex just fine.
Can even transcode 4K down to 1080p in hardware.

genetic

Honorary Master
Bit more affordable than the previous one
Not sure about the attachment of the HDD ?
How difficult would it be to have an easy hassle-free "caddy-system" ?
Even my ancient DNS323 lets you just slide the drives in and lever lock

Wonders of wonders -- there IS such an option in the DS218 PLUS -- which is also black

DS 218+ Hardware Installation

Here

To help you
WTF are you smoking?