Tablet devices future

Do you think tablet devices still have a place in the South African market?

• Yes – they are productive and larger displays support content consumption better than smartphones

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No – Everything can be done on a smartphone

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Neutral – it depends on the preference of the user

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tcyte

With the media tablet market having shrunk by about 40% in the year 2017, smartphones market share continue to boom. We still have to see whether Tablets will resurface again in the coming years or will eventually fade..

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What is a "media tablet" ?

Also don't confuse the tablet market decline for shitty tablets as a holistic decline because your brand/product of choice is going down.

Apple has taken the market and seen loads of growth and Huawei are also doing quite well. Everyone else is just crap, that doesn't mean nobody cares about tablets.

Tcyte

What is a "media tablet" ?

Also don't confuse the tablet market decline for shitty tablets as a holistic decline because your brand/product of choice is going down.

Apple has taken the market and seen loads of growth and Huawei are also doing quite well. Everyone else is just crap, that doesn't mean nobody cares about tablets.
This is based on statistics not my opinion

inanabhay

The first Vodacom 7" tablets were very good, even the 10" ones were good but the Vodacom Tab 2's had system errors
i believe that there is a market for tablets but they need to be well-specced and the OS must be up-to-date

Tcyte

The first Vodacom 7" tablets were very good, even the 10" ones were good but the Vodacom Tab 2's had system errors
i believe that there is a market for tablets but they need to be well-specced and the OS must be up-to-date
I never had faith in the Vodacom tablets.. I basically thought they were not good enough based on the price

Lupus

Honorary Master
Android tablets fell by the wayside due to bad decisions with the OS, OEMS not updating them and just the fact that most people don't upgrade tablets as often as phones. I've still got a 5 year old tablet that is pretty functional, where as a five year old phone would be a brick by now.
The only OEM that makes decent tablets is Apple, the iPad is a different beast, they made them have apps specific for tablets, the quality is decent, but it falls into the same boat as other tablets, it lasts too long.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Yes, there's a market for tablets. I'm tired of browsing and consuming media on my phone even though it has a decent screen. Want something easier on the eyes. Should get the Surface Go tomorrow or Thursday.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Android tablets fell by the wayside due to bad decisions with the OS, OEMS not updating them and just the fact that most people don't upgrade tablets as often as phones. I've still got a 5 year old tablet that is pretty functional, where as a five year old phone would be a brick by now.
The only OEM that makes decent tablets is Apple, the iPad is a different beast, they made them have apps specific for tablets, the quality is decent, but it falls into the same boat as other tablets, it lasts too long.
You are forgetting that there is an enormous section of the market in SA who can't afford to run out and buy a new device every few months!!!

We need more tech that lasts longer than 5 minutes, not less. We need devices that aren't bricked when the battery you can't remove or replace dies. We need things we can resell with some life in them for a second owner so we can fund a newer device for ourselves.

And with the almost complete death of dedicated and affordable e-readers (which are 10 million x better for reading than any tablet or phone) there are those of us who are forced to buy a cheaper tablet to read on because we can't get what we really want. And yes a tablet not a phone because of the dimensions of the screen.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You are forgetting that there is an enormous section of the market in SA who can't afford to run out and buy a new device every few months!!!

We need more tech that lasts longer than 5 minutes, not less. We need devices that aren't bricked when the battery you can't remove or replace dies. We need things we can resell with some life in them for a second owner so we can fund a newer device for ourselves.
That is precisely the reason the tablet market died unfortunately. People were just not buying them enough to warrant the OEMS to keep making them. You can get some Chinese tablets still and Samsung and Apple will sell you them for a massive markup.

Tcyte

That is precisely the reason the tablet market died unfortunately. People were just not buying them enough to warrant the OEMS to keep making them. You can get some Chinese tablets still and Samsung and Apple will sell you them for a massive markup.
I think the OEMS need to put better chipsets to enhance functionalities and keep up with the technology