Technically insolvent SA tech and comms companies - MultiChoice, Cell C, and Post Office

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Joined
May 24, 2010
Messages
14,887
Reaction score
13,575
Location
The Rabbit Hole
Two South African tech companies that are technically insolvent

Two major South African technology companies — MultiChoice and Cell C — are technically insolvent.

Another technically insolvent South African company is the Post Office, a state-owned enterprise that has been in business rescue since June 2023 after narrowly avoiding liquidation.
 
There's nothing "technical" about Cell C, they are done for. Multichoice does qualify for being "technically insolvent."
 
There's nothing "technical" about Cell C, they are done for. Multichoice does qualify for being "technically insolvent."
I do remember Blue Label being given the greenlight to acquire Cell C then why is it listed even. As for MultiChoice, that's a complicated business why invest in so many businesses that you have yet to benefit financially and some like SuperSportBET already has competitors.
 
I do remember Blue Label being given the greenlight to acquire Cell C then why is it listed even. As for MultiChoice, that's a complicated business why invest in so many businesses that you have yet to benefit financially and some like SuperSportBET already has competitors.
There was an article yesterday saying that the MC takeover was approved and I don't see how PostOffice is a tech company either.

weird article.
 
There was an article yesterday saying that the MC takeover was approved and I don't see how PostOffice is a tech company either.

weird article.
That was for one of their subsidiaries I believe the insurance one, the Canal+ takeover is still an ongoing matter presume an outcome to that will be announced before the year ends.
 
Haha. SAPO occupies a weird spot. It falls under Icasa, but it's not really tech or telecoms, but it is comms, and it does have some tech...
 
That's called "vintage". Like sending a hand-written letter.

It's all making a comeback. I heard it on TikTok.
 
If you a SOE ( State Owned Entity) you work for the Gov. Your Gov only give bail outs to Gov entities. So CellC somehow survives or just only, without a bailout. I think there were 132 SOE's in SA. None of them are in private hands.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X