Telkom - Debt Collector VMW Sneaky Tactics

JPmHpc

This am I get an SMS from VMW Debt collectors to pay R324.00 on my outstanding Telkom bill. The last fixed telkom service I had was ended in 2009 and was for an ADSL service in Pretoria. I called VMW and after giving them the reference number that they sms'd me, their first question was can you confirm that you owe Telkom money. I said no I don't as I have no accounts or services with Telkom. The agent tried various ways to get a confirmation out of me that I have an outstanding account with Telkom and that I should provide proof that the service was terminated. I asked her the address where the alleged services was rendered by Telkom, a copy of the alleged contract and alleged bills and correspondence from Telkom, after a back and forth that his information cannot be provided as she only has a phone number, my name and surname and the amount due of R13845.00. I asked her for the number and it is a landline number in the Westrand where I have never lived. I frankly told he that I don't owe this amount and they must not contact me again. Their apparent game plan is to get you to acknowledge that you owe telkom money.

After the call I decided to check my credit profile and noticed that Telkom has listed an amount outstanding of R11850.43 the account is shown as a monthly account and not in arrears.

I tried to call Telkom and Im being sent from one unhelpful person to the next. They cant help me without an account number and if it is with a debt collector they can't assist me at all.

Who can I contact at Telkom to get them to sort this out?

Magandroid

Expert Member
If you checked your credit profile with a credit bureau can't you log a dispute with them?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Don't foget to remind them that to try to collect prescribed debt is unlawful:

What if someone tries to collect on a prescribed debt?

Amendments to the National Credit Act (NCA) in 2015 made it clear that it is unlawful for any credit provider or debt collector to try to collect payment on a prescribed debt.

Sometimes, a credit provider will sell their prescribed debts to a debt collector who will then contact you, demanding payment. This is also unlawful.

If you suspect that someone is demanding payment from you on a prescribed debt:

1. Raise prescription as a defense and refuse to make payment until the debt collector provides evidence that the debt is not prescribed.

2. If the debt collector persists, without providing evidence, email fightback@summitfin.co.za or contact us on 087 806 1011.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Log a dispute with the credit bureau. Don't forget to mention that the debt has prescribed.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
After the call I decided to check my credit profile and noticed that Telkom has listed an amount outstanding of R11850.43 the account is shown as a monthly account and not in arrears.
You check with all 4 main credit bureaus and lodge disputes with the ones that have the Telkom listing, They will contact Telkom and probably get no proof from them either and thus it will be removed,