Telkom FUP suspended

yaseenkriel

According to an article in the business live, Telkom will be suspending FUP:

"Telkom said it has also removed the fair usage policies from its uncapped products. This means customers will no longer have their internet speeds slowed down or limited when specific data thresholds are reached. "

Does anyone know if this includes the FUP for the mobile data?

Currently using the Uncapped Telkom LTE.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident

According to an article in the business live, Telkom will be suspending FUP:

"Telkom said it has also removed the fair usage policies from its uncapped products. This means customers will no longer have their internet speeds slowed down or limited when specific data thresholds are reached. "

Does anyone know if this includes the FUP for the mobile data?

Currently using the Uncapped Telkom LTE.
I haven't been throttled for over six months now. In fact what happens - is when I reach my softcap the speed is also unthrottled for the rest of the month, flying at 80Mbps on a 10Mbps package.

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
My vDSL is still on 20mb but I used more data last month (1tb) than I have ever used and wasn't throttled.

yaseenkriel

ok guess the suspension of the FUP is for fixed-line only. Got the warning SMS and have been reduced to 4mbs. thankfully in 4 months, the contract is done and Octotel just finished laying down fibre. looking forward to good speeds and all access internet.

SoMuchShaun

Hi all,

Not sure if my comment should be in this thread or not? Anyway, had an extensive back and forth with a Telkom Consultant via Web Chat yesterday about this very issue.

For some clarification, I have been signed up on their Uncapped LTE Package since 2018 & have had numerous issues in the past, however since February there have been inexplicable things happening to my Data & Line Speeds. I have contacted them countless times with very little response, my last encounter went as follows..

My new Monthly Cycle began May 1st as per usual, allowing me 150GB @ 10mbps / 50GB @ 4mbps / 2mbps Thereafter. On May 7th however, I received an SMS informing me that I have been throttled to 4mbps.. Unsual as we would expect this to happen around the 12th - 14th May, and the fact that in a household of 4 people, where I am the main Monthly User/Consumer our combined usage until that point had only been 87GB (Tracked using Telkom App, Router & Glasswire) According to Telkom they do not know what the cause of this is and cannot provide me with a solution other than sticking within my Bandwith Cap so that I do not get throttled.. (WTF???)

I will admit that since Lockdown there has been extensive use in my household, as expected I suppose. But I have been keeping an eye on our Individual & Combined Usage for this very reason. Anyway, after contacting them again yesterday to find out why my Line Speeds are running @ 0.7mbps download & 0.9mbps upload on average, I was told i had been throttled to 2mbps as I had reached my Monthly Cap?? According to my Telkom App and other 3rd Party Apps, our combined monthly usage as of 17th May was 172GB, meaning I should be on a 4mbps Throttle right?

After chatting back and forth and getting absolutely nowhere, I then enquired about the LTE Top Up Bundles available for purchase on the App, which I have bought many times previously mind you, & the Fair Usage Policy for those Packages purchased. According to the Consultant, your Contractual Policy takes preference, meaning that say I am throttled to 2mbps due to my Monthly Usage Cap and I purchase a 20GB Anytime + 20GB Nite Time Top Up Bundle, the speeds I would expect to receive should be unthrottled in theory, but unfortunately i would still be Throttled to 2mbps.. I have gone through all the Telkom FUP & Fine Print I can find and nowhere does it state that this is the case.

Long Story Short, I ended up getting nowhere with the consultant and my calls and emails are left unanswered or with no assistance in this matter. Is this FUP for Telkom LTE Top Up Bundles correct according to the consultant or am I supposed to be getting Unthrottled Speeds as the Top Up Bundle is a new Contract in its own right correct?

Apologies for the long rant but wanted to be precise, Hope someone can help me with this. Switching to Wire;ess Fibre in coming months as I hope that would be a much better solution.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hi all,

Not sure if my comment should be in this thread or not? Anyway, had an extensive back and forth with a Telkom Consultant via Web Chat yesterday about this very issue.

For some clarification, I have been signed up on their Uncapped LTE Package since 2018 & have had numerous issues in the past, however since February there have been inexplicable things happening to my Data & Line Speeds. I have contacted them countless times with very little response, my last encounter went as follows..

My new Monthly Cycle began May 1st as per usual, allowing me 150GB @ 10mbps / 50GB @ 4mbps / 2mbps Thereafter. On May 7th however, I received an SMS informing me that I have been throttled to 4mbps.. Unsual as we would expect this to happen around the 12th - 14th May, and the fact that in a household of 4 people, where I am the main Monthly User/Consumer our combined usage until that point had only been 87GB (Tracked using Telkom App, Router & Glasswire) According to Telkom they do not know what the cause of this is and cannot provide me with a solution other than sticking within my Bandwith Cap so that I do not get throttled.. (WTF???)

I will admit that since Lockdown there has been extensive use in my household, as expected I suppose. But I have been keeping an eye on our Individual & Combined Usage for this very reason. Anyway, after contacting them again yesterday to find out why my Line Speeds are running @ 0.7mbps download & 0.9mbps upload on average, I was told i had been throttled to 2mbps as I had reached my Monthly Cap?? According to my Telkom App and other 3rd Party Apps, our combined monthly usage as of 17th May was 172GB, meaning I should be on a 4mbps Throttle right?

After chatting back and forth and getting absolutely nowhere, I then enquired about the LTE Top Up Bundles available for purchase on the App, which I have bought many times previously mind you, & the Fair Usage Policy for those Packages purchased. According to the Consultant, your Contractual Policy takes preference, meaning that say I am throttled to 2mbps due to my Monthly Usage Cap and I purchase a 20GB Anytime + 20GB Nite Time Top Up Bundle, the speeds I would expect to receive should be unthrottled in theory, but unfortunately i would still be Throttled to 2mbps.. I have gone through all the Telkom FUP & Fine Print I can find and nowhere does it state that this is the case.

Long Story Short, I ended up getting nowhere with the consultant and my calls and emails are left unanswered or with no assistance in this matter. Is this FUP for Telkom LTE Top Up Bundles correct according to the consultant or am I supposed to be getting Unthrottled Speeds as the Top Up Bundle is a new Contract in its own right correct?

Apologies for the long rant but wanted to be precise, Hope someone can help me with this. Switching to Wire;ess Fibre in coming months as I hope that would be a much better solution.

As far as I am aware buying bundles will remove any throttling until that bundle has been consumed and then the throttling will resume as per tariff plan. That is how it works for the uncapped @ R599 deal.