Telkom line (not wifi) hacked?

cbd

New Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I reported that my line was showing extremely slow/no upload speeds to Telkom, who provides the ADSL line to my home. I use Mweb as my ISP. They noted that someone else is logging in on the line, using Telkom as the ISP. Initially I was told to get the TIN number and simply cancel it - but when I speak to the right department, they tell me I don't have any TIN's so they cannot be cancelled. Now I have been told to email the escalations centre, who will report it to the police. How long is this going to take to be resolved and how on earth did it happen? (nb the first agent gave me the name of one of the people logging in, and it is no-one known to me. We also live aroud 500m from the next closest house, and I lose wifi connectivity in some rooms of my house and in the garden, so I don't think they can be using the router to access the line?).
 
Just change your password for the ADSL at mWeb and see if that helps at all
 
Last edited:
Just change your password for the ADSL at mWeb and see if that helps at all
mweb say this will only limit access to our mweb account. They are not accessing the mweb data, they are logging in on our telkom ADSL line using a telkom username and password.
 
If it's not via your router...
That would mean that somewhere they are able to access your line physically.
But that wouldn't be possible, because then you wouldn't be able to get a sync to the exchange.
Therefore they would have to have access to your router, and instead of using your internet, they dial up using their own account.
Solution: Secure your router and/or wireless better.
 
mweb say this will only limit access to our mweb account. They are not accessing the mweb data, they are logging in on our telkom ADSL line using a telkom username and password.

Yeah, no... Unless someone has spliced into your physical copper line this is impossible(probably impossible even if they had done this as 2 ISP's running on one line would kill the line completely). Someone can definitely get your Mweb username and password and be using your data somewhere(if Mweb allows more than one connection per account) but what you are describing is impossible.
 
Phone Telkom's crime line 0800 124 000 and report it.

This is not manned by Telkom staff (last I know it was Ernst & Young).
 
Yeah, no... Unless someone has spliced into your physical copper line this is impossible(probably impossible even if they had done this as 2 ISP's running on one line would kill the line completely). Someone can definitely get your Mweb username and password and be using your data somewhere(if Mweb allows more than one connection per account) but what you are describing is impossible.
Not impossible at all. You can run multiple pppoe sessions on a single adsl modem.
Secure the wireless.
 
Ok, will change the password regardless. I clearly am not understanding the technology here. I thought that to be able to access my router you would have to be in its range. I live in a rural area. To be in range you have to be sitting inside my 1 ha garden. Which has a 6 foot electric fence. But clearly its possible to access it when not in range. So, will change my password and see what happens!
 
How!? AFAIK only one can run at a time?
Set your router into half bridge mode.
Let it dial up your normal account
Get a trial from another isp.
Create a dialup pppoe connection on your PC using the new isps credentials
Dial it up
Two accounts running on one adsl line...
 
Set your router into half bridge mode.
Let it dial up your normal account
Get a trial from another isp.
Create a dialup pppoe connection on your PC using the new isps credentials
Dial it up
Two accounts running on one adsl line...

Did not know that was possible...
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X