Telkom Lte IP address

Ouballie2

Any reason why I have an IP address showing Durban when I live in Little Brakriver?
That's more than 1 000 km away.
Some or other provider that I use to stream asked me that question.

netstrider

Expert Member
That's the nature of the game I'm afraid.

What you could do is changing your APN to 'unrestricted' and see how that goes.

Telkom will decide where you peer. That's where you will be seen "coming from" for the www.

Could be bypassed by VPN or TOR or VPN/TOR or TOR/VPN. Up to you. I don't think you have any interest in any of those.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Any reason why I have an IP address showing Durban when I live in Little Brakriver?
To save on IP address space mobile providers will do a NAT where many devices have one public IP

Ouballie2

Telkom will decide where you peer. That's where you will be seen "coming from" for the www.

Could be bypassed by VPN or TOR or VPN/TOR or TOR/VPN. Up to you. I don't think you have any interest in any of those.

Think before you utter.
How do you know that I am not using an unrestricted apn?
Your last sentence - sarcasm?

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Think before you utter.
How do you know that I am not using an unrestricted apn?
Your last sentence - sarcasm?
Comes to forums,posts very little info,gets the standard response

"Herpladerp noob I already did it"

Alright skippy go ahead and solve your own problems then since you seem to be ahead of the peers you are asking

Ouballie2

Comes to forums,posts very little info,gets the standard response

"Herpladerp noob I already did it"

Alright skippy go ahead and solve your own problems then since you seem to be ahead of the peers you are asking

Yes a peer is somebody at your level. Your answers show a level below a peer.

Christo4

@Ouballie. Yes, I suggest #3 as near as dêmmit to the right answer.
This can become an issue when you have an Iptv streaming contract with 2 or 3 connections. They are very quick to block you when they see different ip's - different places, etc.
What is worrying is the suggestion to use an unrestricted apn without an * - be careful - security issues may occur. Especially as we are in an open forum.
Be careful who you trust.

cavedog

Honorary Master
If you are using the unrestricted APN there is some issues with it.

I'm not sure if it's related to IP availability or they try to load balance but you sometimes you get an IP allocated from another region.

Telkom has 3 regions.

North
East
South

If you are in Gauteng for example sometimes you might get an IP from East or South and your traffic is routed there. If you are in CPT you might get an IP from North or East and your traffic is routed there.

I'm not sure if it's intentional but they do it especially on the unrestricted APN. You can double check by doing a trace to 1.1.1.1 and see where traffic is handed over. It's not a fail safe test because Cloudflare can be fussy with their prefix announcement also.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Are they under the impression that a IP is a valid source of your exact location somehow? They could track it to a country, but that's about it. Tell that provider they are dumb as fark if they think that's how it works.

Ouballie2

Are they under the impression that a IP is a valid source of your exact location somehow? They could track it to a country, but that's about it. Tell that provider they are dumb as fark if they think that's how it works.

That was not said or implied.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
That was not said or implied.
Why did they ask that question then? They sure are/were under the impression that your IP is supposed to show your location. Well, here's the answer...

When your ISP acquired address space they gave a address to the registrar, their office address usually, and that's what will show... nothing more. Your ISP obviously used a address in Durban, as simple as that. It's got nothing to do with NAT either.

johnjm

Expert Member

I’m on unrestricted and it’s also Durban