jabu said:http://www.rights-watch.org/Love_complaint_to_ICASA.html
Listen to the Real Audios. They just about sum up Telkom's absolutely sickening attitude to our Constitution.
That's part of a message I posted in another thread. But that was a thread about the ANC not having a formal position on ICASA filings, so I thought I'd start a new thread about this here.
Stripping out the legalese from the page I linked to, here's what happened:
1. The ex wife of one of our forumites, Sian Alachouzos, needed to apply to Telkom for a phone line. To do that, she had to fill in a standard Telkom application form.
2. The application form says "I ... accept Telkom's conditions of contract". But Mrs Alachouzos was a law student and she found out that the conditions of contract contain stuff which is inconsistent with your rights under the SA Constitution.
3. So she altered the wording on the form to say: "I accept Telkom's conditions of contract in so far as they do not prejudice (or prevent the exercise of) any of my rights under Chapter 2 ("Bill of Rights") of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996".
4. That's the only alteration she made. In other words, the only change she made was to protect her rights under the Constitution (Bill of Rights). But because of that Telkom refused to provide her with a phone line.
5. She then got her ex husband Michael Alachouzos (who is an advocate) to ring up Telkom's legal department to protest about this.
6. Telkom's legal department said (basically): "Stuff the Constitution, and stuff your ex wife's constitutional rights"!
7. You can hear them saying it here:
http://www.rights-watch.org/I_Coetzee_170502_excerpt.ram
and there's more here:
http://www.rights-watch.org/I_Coetzee_220502_excerpt.ram
Any comments, anyone?
Last edited: